Where, oh where, is Spring?

When I got into my car this morning, the temperature read 10°. That’s right, 10° on March 6. What is going on? I mean, shouldn’t it be warming up by now? Where is Spring!?

Now don’t get me wrong, I may one of the few people out there that love Winter. Autumn is my absolute favorite season, and Boston is beautiful in the fall. But Winter is a close second in my books. However, at this point, I am sick of it. I don’t know about you, but I need some sun in my life.

Boston in the Spring

Boston in the Spring

The forecast says it should be in the 50s this weekend, but you really can’t ever trust New England weather. The official start of Spring is March 20th.  So as we count down the days until then, there a few things we can do to try to beat the Winter blues.

I’m a big believer in wearing bright clothes. I personally am drawn to “loud” colors, such as yellow, orange and red. Simply put, the colors make me happy and add a little sunshine to my day. I associate these colors with cheerful, sunny days. Our days for the past few months have been cold, bleak and dark, so I think you cannot go wrong with some color. You don’t have to change your entire wardrobe, but I suggest adding a little color into your outfit because it can drastically change your outlook.

Music also has the power of setting the tone. You may find your mood becomes positive when jamming out to fun music while driving into work or school. A good rhythm can be infectious. When I was in undergraduate school, sometimes, I would listen to “All I do Is Win” before exams by DJ Khaled to psyche myself up. It would work wonders to ease my anxiety and I would go into the exam feeling confident. My favorite song right now is “Happy” by Pharrell Williams; you can’t help but smile when you hear it, I promise you.

I find that, typically, around this time, people, especially graduate students, tend to become highly irritable, easily agitated, overly stressed, and just ready for a new adventure. I was becoming bored with the everyday routine and needed a new outlet, so I did something crazy the other day. I decided to take Aerial Silk classes for 2 months. Mind you, I’ve never taken a dance course of any kind, so this is completely new to me, but I wanted to try something out of the ordinary. As a biologist, I find the human body to beautiful, and I’ve always been drawn to Contemporary movement pieces. When I found this studio in Somerville that offers beginners classes, I just knew I owed it to myself to give it a shot. I am very anxious about the ordeal, but I am excited because I know that as much as I will struggle trying to learn how to become comfortable hanging upside down on just a piece of fabric, it will be fun no matter what.

Michael Scott and his wisdom

Michael Scott and his wisdom

As Wayne Gretzy once said, “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”

Maybe aerial arts may not be your thing, but I suggest you take the steps needed to cross one thing off your bucket list. It will be rejuvenating and it can provide that last rush of adrenaline you need to get through the next few weeks.

I hope adding some color, dancing to music, and signing up for an adventure help get rid of the Winter blues! Here’s to sunnier days, that I promise you are just around the corner.

This entry was posted in Around Boston, Personal Growth and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.