Hallmark Hurrah

This can be a tough time of the year for some people. Here in the Boston area, the luster of freshly fallen snow has worn out (don’t worry – we’re due for more soon!), and some of us might be getting sick of scraping the ice off of our windshields in the wee hours of the morning. In addition to an increased frequency of the expression “wintry mix,” this time of year marks Hallmark’s dominance. From here through Father’s Day (that’s in June, folks; you’re prematurely welcome), there’s a Hallmark holiday to keep you going. While I have my own thoughts regarding the corporate drive behind many of these holidays, I must say that there is something about receiving a card – or letter for that matter – in the mail. But what is it that makes snail mail so special? Well, since you asked …

1. It takes thought. These days, with the availability and wit of someecards, taking the time to select the perfect card for someone is meaningful. Then, if you’re lucky, you get a card with a note inside, too. On the flip side, sometimes there is a card you pass that screams out to you and seems destined for a specific someone in your life. 

2. Personalization. In addition to the card being shockingly perfect for that special someone, the message inside is personal. It’s a flashback to my youth when I ran to check the daily mail and was overjoyed when a tattered envelope with my name was nestled in the box. When writing cards or letters, you may want to consider clearing your mind before you put pen to paper.

3. Scarcity. Emails and texts have taken the place of old fashioned mail. This means that most of my postal inbox is full of subscription spam announcing that I’m “qualified” for yet another credit card. Ha, the joke’s on them. But due to the scarcity of good ole’ fashioned snail mail, I’m so pleasantly surprised when there’s a handwritten envelope with my name on it waiting for me at the end of a long day.

As you consider ways to show someone you care about them, or if you’re looking to bring some warmth to a friend or family member during these cold winter days, consider sending a letter or card. It doesn’t have to be long or poetic; the authenticity of your message is the most meaningful, even if it’s just a simple, “Hi, been thinking about you.” After all, reconnecting, like a Forever stamp, doesn’t have an expiration date.