Greetings from a Global Mental Health Student

Greetings all!

My name is Terna (say Tay-na). I am a first year Masters student in the Global Mental Health program. I have lived in 6 countries and several cities in the US. I am half Nigerian and half Liberian.The place I’ve lived the longest is New York City. I have a Bachelor’s degree from University of Chicago and also hold graduate degrees in International Conflict Analysis and Teaching. MSPP brought me back to Massachusetts, the place of my birth.

MSPP is a wonderful community of professionals and students in the field of psychology. I have particularly taken by the school’s commitment to social justice and multicultural perspectives. Also, the faculty and staff are incredibly supportive, knowledgeable and keen to help each student grow, in the classroom and even in unexpected encounters in the hallway. MSPP’s Global Mental Health Program is unique. When I learned of the program I jumped for the opportunity to study here. The program is very much interested in what mental health support looks like in an international context where Western constructs and understandings may not apply or make sense in the cultural context of a place. With that in mind, how do mental health workers with a Western education meaningfully support folks across a variety of contexts? How do we work with refugees and other who have experienced trauma? What is our role and what are our responsibilities? I am excited to be in a program committed to exploring these questions, and providing meaningful experiences in doing so.

I look forward to sharing some of what we are learning over the next few months!

Be well.