Snow Day for All!

SNOW DAY!

Offering a much-needed break from all things graduate school. It has really been great to be on a fixed schedule again, but boy did I need a day off. There’s something about snow days that allows you to let out that breath you didn’t know you were holding. I, for one, also manage to be super-productive on snow days. I get to focus on what’s going on in my life at home, rather than planning for tomorrow, thinking about what readings need to get done, and making sure I’m ready for individual sessions. Instead, I cook, clean, do laundry, and turn my music waaaay up. The best part, I think, is not feeling guilty about it. Because it’s a snow day! Make snowballs! Wrestle in the snow with a friend you don’t see often! Make snow angels! Sled! Throw yourself into a snowdrift! Maybe it’s just me and the fact that I didn’t grow up around a lick of snow, but those are all things I enjoy doing on snow days.

On a connected note, we were having a discussion in one of my classes the other day about Theory of Mind, and the benefit of the attachment relationship in developing theory of mind. For those who may not have come across the term before, it speaks to the developmental process of being able to take a perspective that is not your own and realize that both can exist at once, and that your own truth is not necessarily someone else’s. To stand in someone else’s shoes. To look through someone else’s eyes. You’ve heard about this, and it all relates to our ability to empathize with others. What I was drawn to, though, was the idea that a primary caregiver will be the main person to nurture this ability in a child. But even further, the caregiver (and others who interact with children in general) also ends up looking at things with a child-like mind. Children revitalize us. They give us energy (and, yes, they taketh), and help us to see the joy and wonder and magic in everyday things. Like… snow (see what I did there!). It isn’t surprising that most adults see the onslaught of snow and groan inwardly as the thoughts of shoveling and salting their steps and slow driving immediately jump into their minds. But see if you can, even for a moment, let that inner child build a few snowballs and jump into a pile of fresh snow. Your mind will thank you for the moment of vitality!

In order to honor that feeling of being a child again and enjoying the snow for what it is, I direct you to this blog, manned by Boston’s own Craig “Cappy” Caplan. He has many suggestions for fabulous things to do in the winter, and it wouldn’t make sense for me to repeat them and pretend I know fun things to do in the Boston area when it’s snowing out. Plus, plagiarism!

http://cappyinboston.blogspot.com/2014/01/5-things-you-have-to-do-this-winter.html

~ Na

One Response to Snow Day for All!

1. Amber White says:

Yeah exactly. I also wanted a much needed break and definitely snow days help you a lot. It was all the more good for me because my sister also had a day off and we enjoyed ourselves at home.