The Big Super Game

Being a Colorado native, that game was an ultra-disgrace. Like, beyond mortifying.

Because I am from Colorado, it was easy for me to know who I should root for in tonight’s horrendous “big game”.

(The NFL gets touchy about using the game’s official title on public forums, so…)

Otherwise, I don’t have any football preferences. I don’t follow it because I don’t like it.

There. I said it.

I’ve tried to like it. Everyone else seems to find it on some scale of entertainment. People have even tried to convert me. They’ve failed, bless their hearts. It’s just not gonna happen. I can think of thousands of other activities that would behoove me more than watching those 24 guys set up yet again after a call that pleased approximately half the viewers, and disappointed, frustrated or even enraged others.

I just find no connection with it.

Maybe it’s all those Sundays and Mondays of aired Packers games in which my dad would yell at the television using his “stadium voice”–as though his ribbing of the refs and poo-pooing of opposing players would affect the game’s outcome–eternally turned me off to the sport. By the time I was in high school, Mom and I had finally wised-up and sought the comparative solace of…the shopping mall.

Now had a team other than the Broncos been playing today (which, in fact, I now wish they would have), how would I have selected which team to cheer for? There’s some real psychology to this.

Would I look solely at their stats? Which stats would be important? Would it merely be a logo preference? The attractively contrasting colors of their uniform?

If I personally knew one of the players on a team–if I’d grown up with him, or even if I’d had a brief encounter with him where he spotted me a quarter at Starbucks–it’d become an easy decision. If I know you and you’re a relatively decent person…I’ll support your initiatives or your organization.

What I’m interested in is this: How does the majority of the United States overwhelmingly choose a favorite professional sports team?

I’d love to hear how you do.

I have a feeling that Venus and Mars will offer some level of variation on this survey.

About jeanc2013

Recently deployed to Afghanistan as a civilian for the US military, specializing in organizational development and communications. Currently seeking my graduate degree in Organizational Psychology through MSPP on the part-time program, with intended graduation in 2015. I'm happy to answer any questions pertaining to my experiences with MSPP, working for the government, or travelingg and living abroad. Please don't be shy!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The Big Super Game

1. Pin Up Girls says:

We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.

Your site provided us with helpful information to work on.
    You’ve done a formidable job and our entire neighborhood will probably be grateful to you.

2. Asking questions are really pleasant thing if you are not understanding something entirely, but this article offers nice understanding yet.