Dust Off Your Suit

Last year during interview season, I made a significant commitment, one that may or may not end up being one of the longest in my life. I bought a suit. Yep, a lady-suit, meaning I bought a suit jacket, pants and a skirt (to increase versatility). I remember walking into the store, muttering to myself, “This is ridiculous. Why buy an outfit that I’ll only wear a few times a year – at best?” You see, I’m much more of a corduroy/khaki person myself. This whole “business” attire seemed foreign to me. Remember, I was an elementary and middle school teacher, which is code for “I used to climb on/under/around desks to help students understand prepositions.”

A year ago, I was interviewing for graduate programs. I was pitching myself while simultaneously scrutinizing programs to see if they would be a good fit for me. It was an odd experience. What I learned from this experience, and what I continue to learn through interviewing for practicum sites, is the following:

1. Preparation is key. Learn as much as you can, whether it’s from an inquiry to someone who may already be there (practicum, intern, or program student) or from other information sources. Always go into an interview with a few questions in mind. Sure, they may actually be answered during the course of the interview, but it’s a good idea to have them at the ready. For some people, it’s helpful to role-play interview questions in the mirror or with a friend.
  2. Interviewing is a conversation. I think my stronger interview experiences were when the interviewer and I seemed to sustain a good conversational flow.
  3. Interviewing is a little bit like a first date. It’s an exploratory introduction. I’m learning about them, and they’re learning about me. Hopefully, we identify some professional passions we share and there’s a spark. Also, see the point above.
  4. The most important (and sometimes most challenging) point: be yourself. Even in the fancy lady suit, I often take a minute to reflect on why I’m doing what I’m doing at that interview site, grounding myself in the purpose of being there.

Good luck!

8 Responses to Dust Off Your Suit

1. zand.lv says:

Wonderful work! This is the kind of information that are meant
    to be shared around the web. Disgrace on Google for
    now not positioning this publish upper! Come on over and talk over with my website .
    Thank you =)

2. hi!,I really like your writing very so much! share we be in contact more approximately
    your article on AOL? I need an expert on this house to resolve
    my problem. Maybe that is you! Looking ahead to peer you.

3. I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
    Did you create this website yourself or did you
    hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I’m looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got
    this from. many thanks

4. I was suggested this web site by my cousin.
    I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one
    else know such detailed about my difficulty. You’re amazing!

Thanks!

5. You need noot to worry to overpay anywhere from 10 cents to 50
    cents a gallon as they provide you varilus exciting plans throughout the year such as,
    bronze plans, silver, gold, platinum plans, aand various other exciting
    plans. On the other hand clzms basically mind their
    business and are rarely ever turned down by the
    winter king. Otheer wild species include reindeer, arctic foxes, and even
    polar bears.

6. When it arrives to figuring out all the ins and outs of a online video sport|especially the kinds
    on your telephone|you could invest thousands of several hours on stop making an attempt
    to conquer it this is why Candy Crush Saga Reside Instrument 3.eight.five was created!
    For you avid gamers to get advantage of all the special feature this tool provides.
    Not only you will positive aspects from all these characteristics but you will also help yourself beat every
    and each amount the annoyed you for a whilst. No
    more ready hrs to get daily life or have a minimal volume of
    boosters. Now every little thing you would like has been incorporated in this resource and suitable with Fb|Apple Units (Ipod|Ipad|Iphones)
    and Android telephones also.

7. I am really inspired together with your writing abilities and also with the
    format to your weblog. Is this a paid subject or did yyou customize it yourself?

Anyway keep up the excelent qjality writing, it’s
    uncommon to look a great weblog like this onne these days..

8. I just like the helpful information you supply in your
    articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and take a look at once more right here regularly.

I am rather sure I will learn lots of new stuff proper here!

Good luck for the next!