Prescription nation…

Psychology is confronted by numerous issues and challenges today. One of which is the debate over the use of prescription medication for mental health illnesses. Over the past decade, one in five adults was prescribed a psychiatric drug such as antidepressants, antipsychotics and anti-anxiety medications. Prescriptions for psychiatric medications grew twenty two percent for adults between 2001 to 2010, and prescriptions for ADHD drugs such as Concerta and Vyvans tripled among adults twenty to forty four. This is a significant increase, especially when considering that prior to 1987 when Prozac came to the market, U.S. mental illness disability rate was one in every one hundred eighty four Americans, compared to one in every seventy six in 2007.

article-0-0E728B4B00000578-454_468x308

While the increase in the number of Americans suffering from a mental health disability in and of itself may not prove anything, the fact that these increase s have occurred simultaneously with the rise in prescription medication does. The reason this so alarming is the that long term effectiveness of many such medications prescribed for depression, anxiety, and learning disabilities have not been thoroughly studies. Scientific literature indicates that many patients treated for a milder problem will worsen in response to a drug such as for example someone may have a manic episode after taking an antidepressant, which leads to a new and more severe diagnosis such as bipolar.

628x471

Economic, cultural and social conditions have greatly contributed to a ‘quick fix’ approach. For instance, managed care and insurance companies have become more focused on the bottom line instead of the welfare of its clients. Pharmaceutical companies have seen a greater growth in the past twenty years than ever before, and have an obligation to its stock holders to continue that growth, and prescribers have been inundated with a greater number of patients while also seeing a cut in patient benefits. This perfect storm has resulted in a drug dependent society, and focus on an acute solution for a chronic condition. Moreover, it has caused a divide between Psychologists and Psychiatrists and their methods of intervention.

download

As we look forward to a new generation of mental health professionals entering the field, there needs to be a higher focus on not only being able to properly diagnosing a mental health illness, but more importantly, understand what the cause of the illness is in the first. There is no doubt that prescription medications have helped countless of Americans, but we need to do more than just focus on a short term interventions being able to see a patient as a whole, instead of just someone with a chemical imbalance. Short term solution may alleviate the symptoms at the moment, but many times will not resolve the problem in the long term. This is best accomplished through awareness and education, not only of the mental health professionals, but also for patients coming to us for treatment.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Prescription nation…

1. Parents could also disable the in-app obtain alternative while in the settings with the device to prevent little ones from making use of actual money to get the a
    variety of things that happen to be on present while in the shop.
    Users can play with friends and see who’s got the best poker face.
    The bonus will grow in size as an individual climb on the scale of the league.

2. scort says:

Pretty part of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to claim that I acquire in fact loved account your blog posts.
    Anyway I will be subscribing in your augment or even I achievement you get entry to constantly quickly.

3. Your method of explaining the whole thing in this article is in fact good, every one be
    able to effortlessly know it, Thanks a lot.

4. The first step is to identify if you want to
    have a traditional Hawaiian luau or more of a Hawaiian regional inspired menu.

On the other hand clams basically mind their business and are
    rareely ever turned down by the winter king.
    Other wild species include reindeer, arctic foxes, and even polar bears.

5. You’ll be able to learn a whole lot about a organization by simply checking
    to see if they’re living up to common guidelines for instance a business
    license. That is why you should choose a specialist in the type of roofing you want.
    The best roofing materials for your home depend on the climate of your location, so be sure to research the best roofing tiles for your climate.

6. We think that it is basically the same as the other corner.
    18, and clash of clans hack so on. The difference
    with Clash of Clans Hack Tool” and install it. So first up, this is Flammy, and welcome to part one of my sons, unfortunately. Letís send in the goblins to get clash of clans hack some free Chef Ville Hack Tool Coins. Download InstructionsStep 1 Clash of Clans hack. Clash of clans cheats had been introduced. Clash of Clans is to always make sure I have at least 8 Giants trained and ready to attack.

7. I am noww not certain the place you aree getting your info, but great topic.

I needs too spend a while fknding out more or working out more.
    Thank you for excellent info I wwas looking for this information
    for my mission.

8. Catherine says:

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of
    any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically
    tweet my newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for
    quite som time and wass hoping maybe you would have some experience
    with someething like this. Please let me know iff you
    run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

9. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I
    am waiting for your further post thank you once again.

10. In a mature market, people buy a DVD player because it’s what
    other people buy. I stumped across the Survival Isl
    – Minecraft Premium Accounts Generator Minecraft Premium Bank account
    Generator map. Only a small flavor games have as awesome a style to them as that one.

11. It is not my first time to visit this web site, i am browsing this website dailly and take good information
    from here every day.

12. you’re truly a good webmaster. The website loading pace is incredible.
    It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick.
    Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you’ve performed a
    excellent task in this subject!

13. Sure you want to have an adventure of a lifetime but save that for your later camp outs.
    By taking the concepts in the above article to heart, you will
    be prepared to experience the outdoors like an expert.
    Most students will think they can use their smartphone
    as a flashlight, but that only works in the comfort
    and confines of a home or car.

14. constantly i used to read smaller content that also clear their motive, and that is also
    happening with this piece of writing which I am reading now.

15. Harald says:

I hope you are not seriously suggesting that a patient suffering from schizophrenia can overcome this by changing his or her diet? This is not only negligent, but completely absurd.

16. ashiggins00 says:

And how about diet? We need more doctors, psychiatrists, etc. to praise the powers of eating right and taking supplements. These things have been shown to work and actually improve one’s health instead of causing terrible side effects. People have even recovered from disorders as extreme as schizophrenia by eating right!