Work Self versus Non-Work Self…in Bangkok

Letting my hair down at the Full Moon Party in Koh Phangnan, Thailand.

Some of us have a distinct Work Self separate from our Non-Work Self. You know, the driven, straight-laced person you are at work juxtaposed against the person who lets their hair down in appropriate settings outside of work. I personally see the benefit to nurturing both, and it strongly aligns with the notion of “work hard play hard.”

Let’s preface this by saying that in my day-to-day life on a military base in Afghanistan, I work very, very hard. I’d like to offer you a snapshot of how I maintain a globe-trotting life abroad whilst attaining a master’s degree.

This week I’m on R&R, tending to my Non-Work Self touring Southern Thailand.

I landed in Bangkok where I stayed two nights at the Lebua State Tower, a lovely four-star hotel that you may remember from the Hollywood hit The Hangover: Part II. I met so many interesting people; ate so many weird things; saw so many beautiful places; and saw some things that I’ll never be able to un-see (i.e. “the ping pong show” that I was unwittingly hoodwinked into buying a ticket for).

I’m still processing some of it, which could explain why I wake up some nights in a cold sweat huddled in the corner.

Just kidding.

My unique experience in Bangkok left colorful imprints on my mind. It’s a mind-blowing city with an intricate culture that has something to offer everyone.

Next I flew to the beautiful, quiet island of Koh Samui, where I unwound for a couple nights at a reasonably priced luxury resort with hi-speed Wi-Fi that kept me connected to MSPP. The Tangolux Beach Resort. I’d stay there again in a heartbeat. I had a great view of the Buddah temple that lit up with the backdrop of each sunset.

After some much-needed relaxation, I hitched a ferry to Koh Phangan where I engaged in the slightly hedonistic, ultimate international beach bash that is “The Full Moon Party”. That was an experience-and-a-half. I admittedly, most likely, shed some brain cells that I could have otherwise reserved for my studies. Alas, when in Thailand…buckets up.

You may think that this sounds like a post that is not particularly complimentary to the calibur of student that MSPP accepted in my case. Well, my real point here is that it’s completely possible to successfully undertake graduate-level psychology work, travel the globe, and have a great time doing both. I engage my Work Self when it’s time to get work done.

The fact that I am able to enjoy such enriching experiences abroad while simultaneously seeking higher education means that the future is now. MSPP technology is enabling us to get smarter no matter where we are…or what we drank last night.

How does your Work Self differ from your Non-Work Self?  Do you know anyone who struggles differentiating the two?

About jeanc2013

Recently deployed to Afghanistan as a civilian for the US military, specializing in organizational development and communications. Currently seeking my graduate degree in Organizational Psychology through MSPP on the part-time program, with intended graduation in 2015. I'm happy to answer any questions pertaining to my experiences with MSPP, working for the government, or travelingg and living abroad. Please don't be shy!
This entry was posted in Online Education, Personal Growth. Bookmark the permalink.