Tis the Season to be Thankful

I have a long list of things to be thankful for this year. My family is healthy and happy, and we are all looking forward to spending time together for the upcoming holidays. The Christmas movies have been pulled off the shelf and litter the area by the dvd player while the cheerful songs of the season constantly infuse the air with sleigh bells and the crooning voice of my friend Bing. White Christmas, my favorite, is next on the viewing list, followed by National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, which is my husband’s favorite. The tree isn’t up yet, but I am looking forward to the twinkling lights and the smell of evergreen in my living room.

The school I am at shows no signs of festivities aside from a small poster inviting everyone to a holiday party next week. The weather has been too warm for Christmas sweaters or cozy scarves, but I have noticed an increase in the hallway “hellos” that I assume has something to do with the ongoing festivities at home. I am thankful for this caring atmosphere that I work in, the teachers who are trying their best for all their students and an administration that is constantly looking to try new and preventative measures to enhance the social and emotional climate of the building. I am especially thankful for my supervisor, who has achieved the delicate balance between supporting my learning and allowing me to perform independently. Her attitude toward me, as a competent school psychologist, has allowed me to be a fully contributing member of the school psych team. I cannot imagine a better internship experience, and am thankful that she is preparing me so well for my future employment opportunities.

About sthurstonmspp

I am a 28-year-old-School-Psychology-CAGS/PsyD-student. Whew, what a mouthful. Journey and Styx rock my world, and some hardcore volleyball makes it go round n' round. I have spend the past six years working at a school/residential facility for children with emotional and behavioral disorders, and when I tried to quit in order to begin grad school, it just didn't take- I continue to pick up shifts every week so I can see my kids. I am a new homeowner about 40 minutes outside of Boston (another favorite band) with my husband and my 3 year old (rescued) mutt, Maisy. I am going to do my best to invite you inside my thoughts as I continue my grad school career as a simultaneously juggle my full time internship, CAGS classes and begin my journey into the PsyD- enter at your own risk!
This entry was posted in Experiential Education, Personal Growth, School Psychology. Bookmark the permalink.