Bah. Humbug!

The Christmas carols started early this year. I had barely passed out my last package of M&Ms to the zombie doctor darkening my doorway when the first Santa made his debut on my television screen, harping about the remaining 8 shopping weeks till the big day. The stores gave in a day later, putting out the decor and having pre-pre Black Friday sales. God knows what the toy-of-the-year is this year, but I shudder when I think of all the parents and relatives waiting in line and having to switch their brains over to JackMerridew4.0 in order to bring home their child’s love in a box.
On the school front, I wonder what effect this prolonged holiday “cheer” has on the students. Is there an increase in the stress levels at home? Do this eight shopping weeks feel long and laborious? In a strictly qualitative way, I feel as though I notice kids to be crabbier after Halloween, in a way that never truly lets up until after the holiday break. It could be a myriad of factors, but I choose to believe that this forced holiday cheer that pounds down our doors as the last lonely trick-or-treater has something to do with it.
What is to be done? This may sound like a humbug post, but I do love Christmas. I will be the one with the radio up full blast on the day after Thanksgiving. But when the first messages of the holiday season are commercials about buying gifts, I begin to feel like Charlie Brown amid the shiny aluminum trees. I can only hope that families and schools are marking the true beginning of the holidays in a more love-and-joy manner. I want this year’s children to be able to feel what I felt when I was a little girl.

About sthurstonmspp

I am a 28-year-old-School-Psychology-CAGS/PsyD-student. Whew, what a mouthful. Journey and Styx rock my world, and some hardcore volleyball makes it go round n' round. I have spend the past six years working at a school/residential facility for children with emotional and behavioral disorders, and when I tried to quit in order to begin grad school, it just didn't take- I continue to pick up shifts every week so I can see my kids. I am a new homeowner about 40 minutes outside of Boston (another favorite band) with my husband and my 3 year old (rescued) mutt, Maisy. I am going to do my best to invite you inside my thoughts as I continue my grad school career as a simultaneously juggle my full time internship, CAGS classes and begin my journey into the PsyD- enter at your own risk!

4 Responses to Bah. Humbug!

1. And I say we have to reach out further in the continuum of care and develop our post-acute
    and lifelong supports, contrractor rewards actually, for individuals who have worked with Americans.
    I usually say that a mob is aggressive, juveniles will express aggression.
    And he stated,” Yes,” this is noot just about humans but also understanding them from the bottom of their list
    of twenty health priorities. A psychologist can as well prescribe medications yet only after a discussion contractor
    rewards with a psychiatrist.

2. Awesome blog! Is yoour theme custom made or diid you download it from somewhere?
    A theme like yours with a few simple tweeks
    woould really make my blog stand out. Please let me
    knmow where you got your design. Kudos

3. Excellent way of explaining, and nice piece of writing to get
    data about my presentation subject matter, which i am going to convey in institution of higher education.

4. One from the ways this takes place is through this sale and division
    of templates. job to optimize a website for search engines,
    but professional website templates surly must take search
    engine optimization into consideration; especially if the websites theme is informative or intended
    for content. Every person mostly interacted or you can say influenced from
    the designing that is in which look your site visible to others.