High Inference Statements…

Bullying has become a huge, time consuming, and frustrating thing at my site. Despite all of the efforts put towards prevetative measures (there is an SEL curriculum, we do the SOS cards, we have been giving ABCD problem solving presentations to each grade level, there is Responsive Classroom in place, and we had part 1 of a 3 part a community/parent night presentation regarding bullying) there have been at least 10 incidents this year. Out of those 10, I believe 2 of them meet the criteria of bullying.

The “high inference” issue we are having is that parents are calling/emailing saying their child has been bullied without considering the nuances that distinguish bullying from social conflict. Which leaves the administration in the tricky position of doing an investigation and possibly telling a concerned parent that their child is NOT being bullied.

The school’s policy, handbook, and various communications to kids and adults have stated that bullying is distinguised from social conflict because 1) it is repeated over time and 2)there is a power imbalance between the two parties. Oftentimes we can collect a history where name calling has happened over time- but how do we identify and quantify to explain to ourselves and to parents whether or not a power imbalance exists (doc project, anyone)?

So, “bullying” is my high inference label. Clarifying questions I have asked “what form did the bullying take? What did it look like? Sound like? How long has this been happening? What effect have these interactions had on your child”. But what clarifying question do you ask to find out who is in power and who is not? And then, how do you convey that you are taking the student’s concerns seriously while still informing the family that it is a social conflict, and not bullying?

ARGH

About sthurstonmspp

I am a 28-year-old-School-Psychology-CAGS/PsyD-student. Whew, what a mouthful. Journey and Styx rock my world, and some hardcore volleyball makes it go round n' round. I have spend the past six years working at a school/residential facility for children with emotional and behavioral disorders, and when I tried to quit in order to begin grad school, it just didn't take- I continue to pick up shifts every week so I can see my kids. I am a new homeowner about 40 minutes outside of Boston (another favorite band) with my husband and my 3 year old (rescued) mutt, Maisy. I am going to do my best to invite you inside my thoughts as I continue my grad school career as a simultaneously juggle my full time internship, CAGS classes and begin my journey into the PsyD- enter at your own risk!
This entry was posted in School Psychology. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to High Inference Statements…

1. Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your site?
    My blog is in the very same area of interest as yours and my users would truly benefit from some of the information you provide here.
    Please let me know if this okay with you.
    Appreciate it!

2. Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular post!
    It’s the little changes that produce the largest changes.

Thanks a lot for sharing!

3. thank you very much for your posts