The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Mid-fall is my favorite time of the year. It’s sweater and boot but not yet shoveling weather. The leaves light up the sides of streets and pathways, but the trees are not completely bare yet. But even more wonderful than warmed caramel apple cider is the fact that at this time of the year, on this very year, it is the perfect storm for Boston sports fans. Yes, the Red Sox are chasing late October victories. The Patriots, for better or worse, have begun playing with my heartstrings again. The Celtics and Bruins are kicking into high gear, previewing what promises to be an exciting winter (and hopefully spring) full of green and white, black and gold.  For a girl who grew up planning weekends around games of my own and my beloved Boston teams, this is pretty close to heavenly.

With all of these games, the demands of my practicum, and my coursework, sleep has become a cherished resource. Some nights, I’m not going to lie, I find myself crawling into bed whispering in a Sméagol (Gollum) voice, “my precious …” before conking out. Others, I am on the edge of my chair, adrenaline pumping as my former athletic competitive spirit is awakened. Unfortunately, this occasionally results in using the snooze button a little too liberally the following morning. This past Thursday morning, the day after the first Red Sox-Cardinals game of the series (which started at 8:00 pm – Fox, you’re really making it tough for us), it was clear from peers’ arrival times for our 8:30 class that I was not the only one mumbling, “just another minute” to my annoyingly cheery alarm. And while this may have been an irritating side effect of Boston fandom for our instructor, she handled it the way that most instructors do at MSPP – with understanding.

Life happens. And the great thing about this environment is that the instructors and staff members are accommodating. They maintain high standards while recognizing that we’re balancing significant demands in our practicum placements, classes and life in general. Our instructors not only talk the “self care” talk but also are there to encourage us to walk the “self care” walk.  While I’m not one to use this latitude all willy-nilly, I am appreciative. It makes the glory of this fall just that much more magical.

And with that, I leave you with a cheer for all fans to enjoy, “Go, my favorite sports team!”
(credit to Brian Regan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HqljsJBkq4)

One Response to The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

1. Hi еverуone, it’s my first pay a visit at this web ѕite,
    and paragraph is truly fruitful designed for me, keep up pοstіng thеse content.