Here’s to new beginnings

Hi everyone!

I’m Fathima and I’m a first year student in the Counseling Psychology and Couples and Family Therapy Master’s program at MSPP. My road to MSPP is a sort of a unique one. I received my Bachelors of Science in Biological Sciences and Physiology and Neurobiology and once dreamed of becoming a physician.  Half-way through my college career, I realized that medical school just wasn’t for me, but I struggled trying to figure out what was for me.  I dabbled in a few sciences related careers as a Pharmacy Technician during my last year in college and then as a Quality Assurance assistance at a pharmaceutical company in Western MA upon graduation. I knew I was utilizing my degree and after spending an arm and a leg on my undergraduate education, I felt like it was wrong to completely leave the sciences. But as hard as I tried to give it a chance, the more I realized, I just wasn’t happy. So after six months as a Quality Assurance Assistance, I up and quit my job and then took the following year off to figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.

I recognized my strengths as a people person and I knew I wanted to find a medium to reach others in a unique way. After some introspection, I realized that in all of my past jobs, I really valued my interactions with individuals. I did some research on careers that would give me the meaningful connection with clients that I was looking for and I stumbled upon the world of therapy.

Further exploration led me to the world of Family Therapy and I immediately fell in love. As a Resident Assistant in college, I began to see the significant impact families had on individuals. I realized the importance of working with systems because no matter how much you can work with an individual all it takes is for somebody important to him/her that can trigger a breakdown. Unfortunately, I found that there are not a lot of Marriage and Family Therapy programs in Massachusetts, so when I found the Couples and Family Therapy program at MSPP,  it was like finding a pot of gold. I was not only able to live at home and save money, but I was also able to have the distinctive opportunity to pursue licensure as an LMFT and as an LMHC.

I also was immediately drawn to MSPP’s emphasis on experiential learning. Benjamin Franklin once said “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” I believe that MSPP took that single statement to heart and made its mission to provide invaluable education to its students through involvement. There are not many schools that let its students venture out into the field from Day One, and as I am the type of student who learns through participation, MSPP gave me everything I was looking for.

I’ve been at MSPP for about two months now and I know, without a doubt, that I made the right decision to not only change careers but also to become a part of the MSPP family.

This entry was posted in Applying to MSPP, Change of Career, Counseling Psychology. Bookmark the permalink.