NKOTB: Quick Self-Introduction

Howdy!

My name is Stephanie and am the ‘new kid on the block’ not only to this blog, but also to MSPP. I think now is as good as any other time to introduce myself and tell you a little about who I am.

I am a sister, daughter, wife, mother, cousin, and a niece. I’m a dreamer, doer, expert-novice, and a procrastinater. I’m a list-maker, food-cooker, clothes-washer, late-night-studyer. I’m many things that are you, and you’re many things that are me.

I’m also a first year student in the Clinical Psy.D program here at MSPP. With that said, I should really consider being more practical. So, enough of the philosophical digression for now! Please allow me start over.

Life after High School

I graduated high school in 2006. The same summer, I married my childhood buddy and best friend. Yes, we married young. So life started early. This is us back in the day:

After high school we moved around working retail jobs. I realized pretty quickly that I didn’t want to be pitching sales for a career (not that there’s anything wrong with it, I’m just a mediocre salesperson) and so I enrolled at MassBay Community College. I earned my Associates while working full-time, and transferred to Clark University for my junior year. I got pregnant my senior year at Clark, but still managed to graduate Cum Laude with my B.A. in Psychology, a minor in English and a concentration in Philosophy. I received my diploma on May 20th, 2012- two days past my due date, and in temperatures reaching the mid-90s. Here is my miserable, aggravated, get-this-cap-and-gown-off-of-me-now look:

SONY DSC

Don’t be fooled by the smile.

Life after Clark U

The bundle of joy arrived two weeks past her due date. By this time I had already applied at, been accepted by, and deferred my enrollment to MSPP. MSPP was very understanding about my desire to spend the first year of my daughter’s life with her, and deferment was much smoother than anticipated. So, I was able to spend my year between undergraduate and MSPP raising my daughter and (not) losing the baby weight. This was her then:

111

Aaaaand here she is today telling me how much she appreciates the time I took off from my education so that I could help develop her foundation for the rest of her life:

In case you didn’t catch it, that was a ‘no’. They grow up so fast.

As a first year student, I wasn’t expecting the program to be as involved, or as hands-on, as it is.  I’ve been here a little over a month, and already I’ve learned so much.I haven’t quite found the words to express how happy I am to be a part of MSPP.  I feel honored to be a part of the Clinical Psy.D program, and I am excited at the prospects of what I can accomplish here. Who knows- maybe I really can make a difference, and maybe the place I need to be to do it is here.

About StephanieN

Stephanie is a first year clinical PsyD student at MSPP in Newton, Massachusetts. She graduated Cum Laude from Clark University with a bachelor's in Psychology. Her interests are in community mental health and homelessness, as well as chronic mental illness including severe depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and psychosis. In her spare time, Stephanie likes to spend time playing with her daughter and (attempting) to cook new foods.