Off to a great start!

There is nothing like the fall. Aside from the gorgeous colors and abundance of delicious fruit-turned-pie, the crisp weather sends me scurrying for hoodies that have been buried in the back of the closet all summer. I am always quick to spot my favorite grey, the super large one that still has the soft and fuzzy feel of a brand new sweatshirt. It occurs to me that this year’s placement has that same feel.

My full time internship is at an elementary school, the kind where we have no testing cases yet but plenty of lunch groups and visits to classrooms. I feel as though I am tunneling back into my comfortable place, where the past year’s teenage dramas are a memory and the gap toothed smiles of small children make me feel at home. I’ve dusted off a few of my old favorites, but for the most part have spent some time reacquainting myself with the picture books and tv shows that will inspire my social thinking lessons.

Although the day-to-day events are not always so rosy (2 bullying incidents already this year!) I love being busy, having a child write my name (phonetically, of course) when asked about adults they feel safe with, and seeing the dazzling tutu frocked girls skipping down the hallways. There are murals on walls and Jammin minutes and a gym teacher who plays life sized Angry Birds with the kids. It is still early, but I feel refreshed!

About sthurstonmspp

I am a 28-year-old-School-Psychology-CAGS/PsyD-student. Whew, what a mouthful. Journey and Styx rock my world, and some hardcore volleyball makes it go round n' round. I have spend the past six years working at a school/residential facility for children with emotional and behavioral disorders, and when I tried to quit in order to begin grad school, it just didn't take- I continue to pick up shifts every week so I can see my kids. I am a new homeowner about 40 minutes outside of Boston (another favorite band) with my husband and my 3 year old (rescued) mutt, Maisy. I am going to do my best to invite you inside my thoughts as I continue my grad school career as a simultaneously juggle my full time internship, CAGS classes and begin my journey into the PsyD- enter at your own risk!
This entry was posted in School Psychology. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Off to a great start!

1. The most original tarot card decks have their own suits, that are relevant to
    the deck’s overall theme. Waite and Smith show us not a hostile force, but rather a helper to our
    nature. If placed with a pentacle, success and reward financially will cause great happiness.

2. thanks to everyone! i am really enjoying this new environment and getting back into the elementary level

3. Brandon says:

Wish you luck with your internship!Hope nothing but the best for u

check out http://www.gymtips.org

4. Nadav says:

Good luck with your internship! It’s always exciting to start someplace new, and I’m sure you’ll do great :)