Maternidad Sotomayor

Buenas from Ecuador! This is Rebecca Stacy writing from Guayaquil. It’s hard to believe we are finishing with our third week in Ecuador. Our experiences have been invaluable and we are excited to return home with a new enthusiasm for Latino Mental Health. While I’ve learned an incredible amount in a short time, I found our rotation at Maternidad Sotomayor most interesting.

Maternidad Sotomayor is one of the largest maternity hospitals in South America; they deliver about 100 babies each day. Our role in Maternidad Sotomayor was to help educate pregnant woman about HIV as well as provide follow up care to mothers who recently delivered. Chelsea and Claudia were our supervisors during our rotation and were very supportive and helpful throughout.

Chelsea, in Ecuador through the Peace Corps, provided us with education about HIV transmission and prevention. We learned that there are 3 primary ways of transmission: sexual transmission, blood transmission, and vertical transmission (mother to infant). We also discussed the three most effective ways to prevent HIV: abstinence, mutual fidelity, and use of condoms. Chelsea also dispelled many myths, for example, that HIV is not contagious and is not passed through insects such as mosquitos. We learned about the medication regimens and how to treat patients with HIV when they first come into the hospital. The program plan at the maternity hospital involves being testing right away for HIV. If the test is reactive, the program will provide psychological and physical aid. Mothers will have a caesarean birth, take medication, and be provided with formula. The HIV vertical transmission prevention plan in Ecuador is valuable in that their treatment is completely free. In the United States, these medications can be very expensive. (Did I mention the cost of delivering a baby is $18? At home, this cost is around $16,000).

Our rotation also included being able to talk to patients who recently gave birth as well as those who were having pregnancy complications. It was challenging to talk to these women because there are about 40 women per room, some with HIV and some without. Privacy and confidentiality were difficulty to maintain although the doctors and patients tried their best through speaking quietly and not directly mentioning the diagnosis.

The time I spent at Maternidad Sotomayor was a great experience and made me feel lucky to have astounding medical care back home, especially in the Boston area. I am excited to return home with a new set of knowledge that affects all cultures and will be applicable to the patients I treat. Similarly, learning the terms for explaining HIV transmission in Spanish and English has been valuable. For those students going to Ecuador next year, I would definitely recommend this rotation.

Nos vemos! Rebecca Stacy

This entry was posted in Latino Mental Health. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Maternidad Sotomayor

1. MY NAME IS Mariam Baurice FROM SOUTH AFRICA…I SAW THIS COMMENT ON POSITIVE BLOGS AND I WILL LOVE TO TELL EVERY BODY HOW MY STATUS CHANGES TO NEGATIVE, AND AM NOW A LIVING WITNESS OF IT AND I THINK ITS A SHAME ON ME IF I DON’T SHARE THIS LOVELY STORY WITH OTHER PEOPLE INFeCTED WITH THIS DEADLY VIRUS…,HIV HAS BEEN ONGOING IN MY FAMILY… I LOST BOTH PARENTS TO HIV,. AND IT IS SO MUCH PAIN IVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET OVER.. AS WE ALL KNOW MEDICALLY THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO IT..AND MEDICATION IS VERY EXPENSIVE..SO SOMEONE INTRODUCED ME TO A NATIVE MEDICAL PRACTITIONER IN AFRICA..I HAD A JOB THERE TO EXECUTE SO I TOOK TIME TO CHECK OUT ON HIM.I SHOWED HIM ALL MY TESTS AND RESULTS.. I WAS ALREADY DIAGNOSED WITH HIV AND IT WAS ALREADY TAKING ITS TOWL ON ME.. I HAD SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I DECIDED TO TRY HIM OUT…I WAS ON HIS DOSAGE FOR 6MONTHS. ALTHOUGH I DIDNT BELIEVE IN IT, I WAS JUST TRYING IT OUT OF FRUSTRATION… AND AFTER 2 WEEKS, I WENT FOR NEW TESTS… AND YOU WONT BELIEVE THAT 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS CONFIRMED IT THAT AM NEGATIVE..IT WAS LIKE A DREAM,,I NEVER BELIEVE AIDS HAS CURE..AM NOW NEGATIVE,,AM A LIVING WITNESS..I DONT KNOW HOW TO THANK THIS MAN… I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS IN ANY WAY I CAN..HAVE JOINED MANY FORUMS AND HAVE POSTED THIS TESTIMONIES AND ALOT OF PEOPLE HAS MAIL AND CALLED THIS MAN ON PHONE AND AFTER 2 WEEKS THEY ALL CONFIRMED NEGATIVE..BBC NEWS TOOK IT LIVE AND EVERY.. HOPE HE HELPS YOU OUT.. EVERYBODY SAW IT AND ITS NOW OUT IN PAPERS AND MAGAZINES THAT THERE’S NATIVE CURE FOR HIV AND ALL WITH THE HELP OF THIS MAN,,HAVE TRIED MY OWN PARTS AND ALL LEFT WITH YOU,,IF YOU LIKE TAKE IT OR NOT..GOD KNOWS HAVE TRIED MY BEST.ABOUT 97 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE THROUGH ME..AND THEY SEND MAILS TO THANKS ME AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE,,THIS MAN IS REAL..DON’T MISS THIS CHANCE,,HIV IS A DEADLY VIRUS,,GET RID OF IT NOW..
    case there is anyone who has similar problem and still

looking for a way out, and he those cast all kind of spell like ::
    Love Spells
    Luck, Money Spells
    Health, Well Being
    Protection, Healing
    Curses, Hex, Breakups
    NEW! Combo Spells
    High Priestess Spells
    Vampire Spells
    Authentic Voodoo Spells
    Custom, Other Spells
    Business spells
    Health/Healing spells
    Curse removal
    Job spells
    Healing from all kind of diseases
    Love binding
    Barrenness(need a child)
    Need love
    Lottery Spells
    Promotions
    Success
    Money rituals
    winning court case
    Divorce spells
    Low sperm count
    Infertility in women
    Breast enlargement/reduction
    Penis enlargement/reduction
    YOU CAN CONTACT HIM HERE AS (spirituallighthealing101@live.com or (518) 303-6207) if you need any question contact me via here as mariambaurice@gmail.com