Special Muffins for Special People

I wrote the following post on my baking blog, Chocolate Covered Therapy, and since it talks about MSPP, I thought I would share it with all of you:

“MSPP is very committed to their idea of creating a strong community.  Because we are in such small classes, even smaller communities develop within that larger umbrella.  Our clinical seminar classes, however, become more like families.  We are small groups (mine has only five students) that share stories, cases, and professional issues that arise over the year, and help each other to process those events and come up with solutions.  In that process, we all learn and grow from each other’s experiences, as well as from our professor.  

I was fortunate to be placed in the seminar of Dr. Ethan Pollack, one of the most genuine and knowledgeable professors I have ever met.  He has been practicing and teaching for many years, and always has an example from his experiences ready for us when we bring up a clinical issue.  Dr. Pollack is also one of the most knowledgeable experts on ethics in the field.  I look up to him as a professor, as a clinician, and almost as a grandfatherly figure, who is wise and caring and always there fore you.  It has truly been an honor to have been a member of his clinical seminar family this year.

Part of our family role in clinical seminar is to take turns bringing in breakfast each week.  Some people bring in bagels or donuts or fruit, and some of us bake.  So far, I’ve made some pretty interesting things this semester.  I’ve made toffee apple crisppumpkin cinnamon chip scones, and a flop batch of cinnamon roll muffins.  This week was my last chance to bake for my seminar this year, so I knew it had to be something incredible.  Since our professor is also a proclaimed chocoholic, I decided that I needed to make something super chocolaty as my one last chance to impress him.  I chose these:

Double Chocolate Chip Muffins

Recipe adapted from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch

Yield: 14 muffins

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
6 Tbs unsalted butter 
1 cup dark chocolate chips (plus extra for sprinkling)
3/4 cup full-fat greek yogurt 
1 large egg 
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup strongly brewed hot coffee 

Directions:

In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.  Set aside.

In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat.  Then stir 1/2 cup chocolate chips until smooth.  Remove from heat.

In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, egg, and vanilla.  Set aside.

Add chocolate and yogurt mixtures to the dry ingredients along with the coffee, and stir until combined.

*I forgot to add in the coffee, so the batter looked really dry, and I couldn’t figure out why.  When I added in the coffee, it looked a little better.

Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips until incorporated.

Add about 1/4 cup batter to each lined muffin cup.  Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top of each one.

Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for at least 10 minutes, then remove muffins from pan to finish cooling completely on the wire racks.  Store in an air-tight container once fully cooled to preserve freshness.

I got so many compliments on these little babies.  They were the most delicious and super chocolaty muffins I have ever made.  I fell asleep and accidently left them on the counter overnight, so they were slightly dryer than I would have liked, but I don’t think it detracted from how good they were.  I highly recommend making these muffins for the beloved chocoholic in your life.

The most important compliment to me of all, however, was from my professor.  He came up to me this morning and said, “young lady, that muffin was to die for.”  Mission: SUCCESS.

To my professor and fellow students of my clinical seminar class: Thank you for an incredible year.  I have truly enjoyed learning, sharing, growing, and eating breakfast with all of you the past 2 semesters.  You have been such an invaluable part of my professional and personal development, and who I am as a clinician and a person at this point in my career is a reflection of what I’ve learned from all of you.  It was an honor to be a part of your class.”

About Hannah

Hello, my name is Hannah and I am a 1st year student in the clinical PsyD program at MSPP. I graduated from Wesleyan University last year with my B.A. in Psychology. I am originally from a very small farm town in upstate NY. My personal interests include baking, running, hiking, and procrastinating my homework by watching cat and baby videos on YouTube.
This entry was posted in Clinical PsyD, Personal Growth and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Special Muffins for Special People

1. Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any points for novice blog writers? I’d
    certainly appreciate it.