Boston: Not So Bad Afterall

I’ve given Boston a pretty hard time since I moved here in June.  I am a small town girl, and frankly, cities and I just don’t get along.  And Boston definitely isn’t Middletown, CT, where I had made my home the last four years.  I found every reason I possibly could to complain about Boston (granted it wasn’t that hard): the commuting times, the drivers, the layout, the parking, the general look, the weather, the rent prices, and the people.

Now that I’m settling in a little better, I’m starting to realize that maybe Boston isn’t so bad after all.  Maybe I was just stuck in my ways and not open to change.

I have compiled a list of things that I have decided I like about Boston.  I am sure this list will grow over my remaining years at MSPP, but for now, this will do.  (It is in no particular order).

1. This city has a lot of really neat history.  I’m kind of a nerd and like learning about all that stuff.
  2. I guess the T is kind of cool when you go out to eat and don’t have to drive home so you can drink a lot of wine with your meal.  The only public transportation in my home-town was a single taxi.

on the T!

on the T!

3. The indie donut shops.  The boyfriend and I have been continuing our “Great Donut Adventure” and are almost done compiling our rating list of the top 20 in the Greater Boston Area.  I’ll be sure to post the results when we finish in case anyone is curious.

Verna's in Cambridge is toward the top of our list

Verna’s in Cambridge is toward the top of our list

4. My boyfriend and his family and dogs.  It’s nice having a family close-by that I can go home to every once in a while.

Meet Chewie!

Meet Chewie!

5. My housemates.  Sometimes it’s difficult living in a 6-person house in the city, but honestly, I don’t know what I’d do without those girls.

Some of us went exploring during the Snowpocalypse

6. Jamaica Pond.  I haven’t had much time (or really, let’s face it- the motivation) to go running, especially when it’s so cold out.  But when I do find the time, Jamaica Pond is about a half mile from my house, and I love to go there and relax, do homework, or go for a quick run after class.IMG_5049
  7. Some of the neighborhoods are really cute.  I am a particular fan of Jamaica Plain (although I may be biased because I live here) and Milton.  Adorable!
  8. There are a lot of places to go out and you don’t have to drive an hour to go to a nice bar (like at home).  About a five minute walk from my house in JP are Canary Square and Tres Gatos.
  9. There are a lot of different cultures in one place.  I have neighbors from almost every ethnic group imaginable, and it’s really neat that I have been invited to share in so many different cultural practices.  It’s a nice change from the homogenous town I grew up in.  I especially love that the Stop and Shop in JP has a really large hispanic foods section.
  10. Restaurant Week: Boston.  I’ve never lived in a big enough city where there are enough restaurants to have a whole week dedicated to them, so being the foodie I am, this was a pretty big deal to me.

Lucca in the North End

Lucca in the North End

11. GrubHub (I know it exists all over, but I never discovered it until moving here).  Having cheap and very available online ordering and quick delivery is an essential part of being a graduate student.
  12. The radio stations.  I am practically in love with Evolution 101.7.  At home we only got three: Country, Hard Rock, and the Christian station.  Now, I have a dance party in my car at 7:30 in the morning as I commute to class.
  13. The museums.  There are so many different museums, like the MFA or ICA and different events and exhibitions that you’ll never be bored.  And if you are a member of the Boston Public Library, there are lots of discounts you can find for admission tickets.
  14. The Public Gardens.  They are so pretty in the summer.  You have to go.  End of story.IMG_5041
  15. And, of course, all the wonderful people I’ve met at MSPP <3.  No words can describe the love I feel for my MSPP family.  I came here for the strong sense of community, and that is exactly what I found.IMG_5222

I am really looking forward to seeing this list grow over the next 3 years.

About Hannah

Hello, my name is Hannah and I am a 1st year student in the clinical PsyD program at MSPP. I graduated from Wesleyan University last year with my B.A. in Psychology. I am originally from a very small farm town in upstate NY. My personal interests include baking, running, hiking, and procrastinating my homework by watching cat and baby videos on YouTube.
This entry was posted in Around Boston and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Boston: Not So Bad Afterall

1. emreque says:

always rewarding to go after little pleasures of life..inspiring story :)

2. seowap says:

wonderful story to share holiday yeah?? Looks like a holiday full of stories of happiness :) I so wanted too :(

3. The Jamaica Pond and Public Gardens really nice. :)

4. I love those donuts :)