Growth

The following is a section taken from a recent paper I wrote.  Considering the nature of the topic, I felt that it would make an interesting blog post as well. Enjoy.

At the beginning of the 2012-2013 school year I thought of myself as a person with a strong understanding of the human condition.  I felt simultaneously brash in my abilities and fearful of being proven wrong.  That being said, one of the largest areas of growth I have personally encountered is the gained knowledge that, while I do have a respectable understanding of some aspects of the human condition, I have so much more to learn in so many areas.  Whereby I thought that I only lacked the academic knowledge base needed in the helping profession, I have come to know that the experience required to be an effective counselor cannot be discounted and comes only in the actual doing of the work and being surrounded by the field.  I am extremely grateful that I am gaining this experience at MSPP and with the people I am surrounded by.

Another skillset that I have experienced, exponential, growth in, is my ability to work and succeed in a professional environment.  As a function of the multiple programs that I am fortunate to be able to be a part of at MSPP I am developing the interpersonal skills needed to compete in the modern academic and professional fields.  My involvement in Train Vets to Treat Vets has helped me develop competency in the areas of outreach and advocacy.  Participation in the Student Coordinating Committee has taught me how to work within the differing levels of an organization; while also showing me how to remain tactful and respectful while still accurately and effectively expressing the concerns of the people I am representing. 

One Response to Growth

1. Congrats for your involvement in Train Vets to Treat Vets!