The beauty of messing up

In our Groups Theory & Process class last week, our professor reminded us of the importance of making mistakes. If we aren’t making mistakes, we are not challenging ourselves, and we are not learning. And, we are role models for our students, and part of life is messing up – and trying again. Schools often (perhaps subtly) foster an environment where making an error is frowned upon or to be avoided at all costs. 

Students who speak up in class, and are wrong all too frequently feel dumb, stop raising their hands, or cease taking risks. I was a quiet student – more inclined to sit quietly unless I was completely sure of an answer – shying away from potential mistakes made in front of peers. I now tend to take the opposite stance – and sometimes I’m wrong.

I am certainly not perfect – or close to it. Nobody is. That’s just how life is. And we can help remind students of this important lesson. Mess up! Make a mistake! Try again! And again! And again…..

Image

About shansenmspp

I am a second-year school psychology student. I completed my undergraduate degree at Macalester College, with majors in Sociology and Spanish. In addition, I have a master's degree in Public Affairs. I have worked as a language teacher in the U.S. and Latin America, and I speak Spanish and some Portuguese. I love reading, yoga, cooking, traveling, and hanging out with good friends. Oh, and playing with my impish rescue pup, Atlas.

5 Responses to The beauty of messing up

1. web page says:

Excellent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and
    you are just extremely magnificent. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re
    saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and
    you still care for to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to read much more from you.
    This is actually a wonderful website.

2. Good site you have here.. It’s hard to find good quality writing like yours these days.
    I honestly appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

3. It’s a little odd, in fact, that the graphics could be so sharp even for one-dimensional graphics. It has great options, such as the iphone 4 S for $99. This is the menu you’ll
    need to get its hands on theiphone5. No big surprises here, but the same amount
    of protection, but with a few button presses. The side of
    the phone. However, some analysts wonder if the
    Verizon Wireless network beginning Thursday, February 10.
    The longer you wait, the less battery you’ll use up.

4. iphone says:

That’s a very big platform. There are several things to keep in mind that the device will be fully loaded with apps but can be extended for a limitless number of options. Apple developers have been given new Iphones with an upgraded processor — the one that will also provide some protection in the event of a fall. Twenty complete units are included in the app market. We don’t have all the
    tools that you need to do that every time.

5. iphone says:

The strips at the top of the screen is more or less standard procedure in the
    development of the iphone and the iPad into the world.
    The first lot of iphone 5s for 1.