A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant, and A Prayer

Erika, Emily, Dana, and me at the "after party" for MMRP. :)

Erika, Emily, Dana, and me at the “after party” for MMRP. :)

On Thursday, MSPP held its performance of Eve Ensler’s A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant, and A Prayer, an event that I co-directed with my friend Erika. In some ways, I am glad that the event is over as it was a lot to take on (and as I no longer have to daily spell out the super long, comma-filled title of “A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant, and A Prayer”). But I will miss being a part of this small group and endeavor that inspired me so much.

Given that I was co-running MMRP (yay acronyms), I sometimes was more consumed with managing the details and technicalities of the event (i.e. running auditions and rehearsals; figuring out AV and food stuff; contacting potential donors and collecting donations for the silent auction; etc) than thinking about and celebrating the event’s empowerment-themed message. But Thursday finally came, and after a day of running around ragged – setting up the donated gifts for the auction, arranging chairs, printing out signs – the performance finally began. With no more responsibilities left, I felt like I could finally hear and listen to the words of the monologues: with every punch…; another self that floated above me…; to the graveyard by the river, I chose freedom…; over it…; it could have been anywhere…; one in three women…; etc. etc. etc. The words hit me hard, and I often found myself tearing up; looking into the audience, I saw that others were getting a lil’ verklempt as well. As somber as some of the pieces were, they were poignant, and I felt empowered by the fact that the woman’s voice was not just speaking – it was being heard. Nine of us spoke, and the audience, which was comprised of about 50 people, listened. I hope that that those audience members will now use their own voice to pass on the message of MMRP to others, so that the One Billion Rising movement can continue to spread.

I am so glad that MSPP had this opportunity to experience A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant, and A Prayer and I especially appreciate the opportunity to have been a part of this event and overall movement. For all those who are interested, I recommend that you check out V-Day events in your area and become a part of this movement as well. :) xoxo.

About sdmosaligantimspp

Originally from Washington, DC, I'm a second-year Clinical Psych. doctoral (PsyD) candidate. I earned my BA from Boston College and my MS in Psychology from Boston University, where I served as PI of a study that explored the relationship between social-category language and stereotypes. I work as a Peer Supervisor for Boston Area Rape Crisis Center and at MSPP, I serve as Co-Chair of the Gender Equality Committee. I like comedy, especially The Onion, and animals, and I live in Allston with five absurd roommates.
This entry was posted in Clinical PsyD, Personal Growth, Social Responsibility. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant, and A Prayer