Restrepo

Last Thursday a small group of students, including myself, attended an event where we watched sections of the war documentary Restrepo and former Infantry Sergeant Brendan O’Byrne gave a moving recount of his experience in Afghanistan and an exploration of the unseen wounds that too often remain after combat has ended and the physical wounds have healed.  Mr. O’Byrne’s frank and uncensored talk served as a powerful reminder of why I am pursuing a career in mental health.  His insight and dedication to sharing his experience as well as his ongoing personal healing process serve as a beacon, for student-Veterans like myself, guiding us forward into a field that surely needs as many qualified and experienced (both academically and in the field) as can be produced.  That being said, if you are a student –Veteran and you happen across this, I strongly recommend you take a look at the possibility of a career in mental health.

Finally, I would like to offer my personal thanks and appreciation to Gretchen Nash, Rob Chester, and everyone else that made this and every other event possible through their hard work and dedication to both the students at MSPP and the field of psychology itself; thank you.

This entry was posted in Personal Growth, Primary Care Psychology, Social Responsibility, Veterans. Bookmark the permalink.