I can’t get up!

“No, I can’t get up….” my classmate mumbled in a muffled voice, as she turned her face to avoid eating carpet. Another classmate leaned over her, restraining her arms, while a third classmate held back her legs. The rest of us bit our lips to refrain from giggling at this demonstration. 

This was the scene in our practicum seminar a couple of weeks ago. In response to our stated hope of learning about deescalation and restraint techniques, a classmate volunteered to show us what she had learned after 5 years working at a school for children with behavioral and emotional disorders. The idea was not to attend a comprehensive training (we’ll have plenty of time for professional development down the road!) but to give us confidence in calming down angry students, and to know when and how restraints are properly applied, so that we may intervene if we observe them used inappropriately. 

This class reminded me of the rich variety in the experiences we bring to the program as a class. As a cohort, we have taught pre-school, middle-school, and high-school, lived in several different countries, worked a number of years in clinical settings, taught special education, overcome physical illness and injury, and learned how to make wallets and clothing out of duct-tape. We learn from our professors and supervisors at our sites, but we also learn a great deal from each other. MSPP’s challenge moving forward is to best utilize the previous experiences of its students, and to incorporate that knowledge and understanding into every class. 

About shansenmspp

I am a second-year school psychology student. I completed my undergraduate degree at Macalester College, with majors in Sociology and Spanish. In addition, I have a master's degree in Public Affairs. I have worked as a language teacher in the U.S. and Latin America, and I speak Spanish and some Portuguese. I love reading, yoga, cooking, traveling, and hanging out with good friends. Oh, and playing with my impish rescue pup, Atlas.

4 Responses to I can’t get up!

1. Ashli says:

What’s up, I check your new stuff regularly. Your writing style is
    awesome, keep up the good work!

2. Article writing is also a excitement, if you be acquainted with afterward you
    can write if not it is complicated to write.

3. Ryan James says:

God I miss those years. Enjoy them – they are special.