Work While I Play

As I mentioned in my last post, I’m currently in Spring, Texas visiting my husband’s family during his spring break. We arrived on Friday and leave this Sunday, so it’s a pretty long vacation. Long & well needed.

It’s been so nice to be in 80 degree weather again, wearing sundresses and driving with the windows down. We’ve eaten outside on a few patios and I already have a bunch of tan lines. I’m the type of person who comes alive during summer time, so it’s been nice to have a little break from hibernation.

Unfortunately, it’s been difficult to get any work done. In the spirit of keeping things honest on this blog, giving readers a real look at what it’s like to be in grad school, I’m trying to be real with you guys: having school work to do during your husband’s spring break is hard. Having papers to write when it’s 85 and beautifully sunny is hard. Forcing yourself to stay inside for an hour so you can attend a video conference with your classmates and advisor is hard.

I want to do my best with my school work, but that really takes some dedication, if we’re being honest. Nobody wants to be the person sitting inside reading when everyone else is out having fun. However, I know it will be worth it in the end. If I can stick it out these next four months, I’ll have a Master’s degree in my hands and opportunities at my door. I just need to remind myself of that when I’m sitting at the table writing my final paper and the sun peeks out from behind the clouds, beckoning me to come play.

Image

from earlier this week, when my feet were just starting to get used to the soft grass again and I was ignoring all of the responsibilities of school.

About jackieqmspp

I'm Jackie, a MSPP Higher Education online student. I recently graduated from Roberts Wesleyan College just outside of Rochester, NY and I live in Spencerport, NY with my best friend/husband/boy-roommate and no pets or babies just yet, thank the Lord. I'm into crafting, reading, frozen brownie batter, twinkle lights, and spending time with my cute new husband. I currently hold down 2 part-time jobs, but am looking to get into Student Affairs once I complete the HESPA program. Working with college students is my passion, because it feels more like playing, and I'm looking forward to developing my career in Higher Education.