Taking Space

I recently had cause to review my conflict intervention skills. Although the old IASSIST framework has gone the way of the dodo in favor of “Emotional First Aid”, the basic principals are the same. Space and time are the crux of almost any intervention with a child whose behaviors are screaming that they’ve left baseline.

We all use taking space as a go to strategy. Personally, I walk away from my troubled, overwrought brain and take a long shower. Other people I know go for a run (insanity!) or do yoga. When we fight with our spouse, our friends, or our coworkers we know enough to get some distance and let ourselves regain some perspective.

Simultaneously (well, across the same span of days) to this skill review, one of my clients stormed into the office and threw herself down in the chair opposite me before I had even registered the name of this gale force. She launched into a tale of drama and woe, of how maligned she had been by the captains of her sport. “Look!” she ranted, pulling out her iPhone. She proceeded to read aloud the texting fight that had begun in the late hours of the previous day and continued up through the present moment. In fact, the phone lit up and chirped while we were talking in the officer no less than 3 times, all from or about the evil captain.

It occurred to me that the one thing that really needed to happen might not be possible: she needed space from the argument (they both did), but between the constant texting, tweeting, and instagraming of the argument by both parties and by the other teammates, it was literally impossible. I asked her if she thought it would be a good idea to turn her phone off, even just for an hour. She looked at me blankly, and then said, “What good would that do? I can turn mine off. But not the ones of every kid who will come up to me and say ‘Did you see what she said?” And then I would panic even more.”

I continue to be amazed, and sad, by this. I cannot imagine what this constant state of anxiety and anger is doing to the brains of these young students. I know that constant high levels of cortisol (fear) literally impedes a person’s ability to form memories. What is all of this social media and technology doing to our students? Will they ever be able to turn off and tune out?Calvin&Hobbes

About sthurstonmspp

I am a 28-year-old-School-Psychology-CAGS/PsyD-student. Whew, what a mouthful. Journey and Styx rock my world, and some hardcore volleyball makes it go round n' round. I have spend the past six years working at a school/residential facility for children with emotional and behavioral disorders, and when I tried to quit in order to begin grad school, it just didn't take- I continue to pick up shifts every week so I can see my kids. I am a new homeowner about 40 minutes outside of Boston (another favorite band) with my husband and my 3 year old (rescued) mutt, Maisy. I am going to do my best to invite you inside my thoughts as I continue my grad school career as a simultaneously juggle my full time internship, CAGS classes and begin my journey into the PsyD- enter at your own risk!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Taking Space

1. Adalberta says:

I delight in, result in I found exactly what I used to be having a look for. You’ve ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

2. Hvac Detroit says:

Sometimes, you have to take a break from the person or situation until your frustration subsides a bit. Counting is isn’t just for kids, sometimes you have to do it to yourself as well and wait to defuse temper.