My First Blog Ever

Who am I?  I think I have been asked that question in one form or another more times in the past year than in all the preceding years combined.  While I don’t think the answer to that question is the easiest for anyone to answer, I feel, though my answer may not be more difficult to arrive at, at times I feel it would take more to describe.  Let’s see… I’m a son, a brother, a husband, a soldier, a student, an activist, a gardener, a hunter, a fisherman… … Well maybe I should back up and just start with the basics and hopefully, as I write more posts, I will get to know myself better as I tell you about me and my experiences at MSPP.

My name is Coy Pemberton, I am 32 years old, and a first year Masters student at MSPP.  Beyond that I am an Army Reserve soldier with over 14 years of service under my belt, and I am proud to count myself as part of both the military community and the Train Vets to Treat Vets program here at MSPP.  When I applied and was accepted into school here I knew there was a supportive base for veterans and their families; what I did not know was how supportive and how focused on the issues that face many veterans the school and the TVets program was and is.  In the short time (less than two semesters) I have been here I have seen a community form that I did not see in over four years of attending large undergraduate universities.  I have also seen an incredible amount of good come from the school and from TVets.  Not only do they support veterans and families at school, there is an outreach focus that connects with veterans in other schools and other areas, and I am very proud to be able to be a part of this.

So in the coming weeks and months I will be sharing with you more about myself, my experiences as a veteran and a grad student, and the experiences and news of the MSPP military community and Train Vets to Treat Vets.