Finally Settling In

The transition to graduate school and a new city is a difficult one.  However, I was slightly cocky and full of “I-just-graduated-college” pride, and didn’t think it was such a big deal.  I was ready to tackle the world after my commencement ceremonies on May 27th, and moved my stuff from CT to Boston the very next day.  I was ready to start my life as a graduate student in Boston.

What I wasn’t counting on was how long the transition would take.  I thought I would settle in over the summer, and be ready for school in the fall.  Then fall came, and adjusting to the school schedule was difficult, and I still felt lost.  Then winter came roaring in, and I trembled at the thought of driving and parking in Boston with 2 feet of snow.  I cursed Boston and my decision to go to graduate school in a big city where no one knows how to drive.  I thought I would never feel comfortable in my life here, and that Boston would never mean anything more to me than those four awful years of my life in which I sacrificed my happiness for my degree.

My street during Snowpocalypse

And now, here we are just a few short weeks away from spring, and I feel like I’ve finally got it.  I still cringe at the sound of a Boston accent, but aside from that, I feel like I have adjusted to my life here.  My commutes are starting to happen from memory, my boyfriend and I have a regular favorite restaurant, and I have regularly scheduled dinner dates with my friends.  I have a new PCP, a dentist, a psychiatrist, a pharmacy, a bank, and a mechanic.  I know which grocery store has the cheapest tofu, and what times to go to avoid the long lines.  “Swinging by” a store on my way home from work no longer causes tears of anxiety and cursing out my GPS.  And if anyone in Boston asked when I was “coming home,” I become furious and correct them.  “Boston will never be home,” I would snap back.  I guess I was wrong.

I came to this realization today, as I sit by one of the giant windows on the 2nd floor of MSPP, gazing out at the ugly gray skies and the wind whipping the trees behind the parking lot.  We’re getting supposed to get another epic snow storm tomorrow, and I’m not trembling in my boots like the last few times.  Winter in Boston was what I feared the most, and now, I am ready for the disruption.  I finally feel calm in this whirlwind storm of a life I’ve created here.  I don’t plan on staying here forever, but for now, Boston and MSPP are finally “home.”

Ready for Anything!

Ready for Anything!

About Hannah

Hello, my name is Hannah and I am a 1st year student in the clinical PsyD program at MSPP. I graduated from Wesleyan University last year with my B.A. in Psychology. I am originally from a very small farm town in upstate NY. My personal interests include baking, running, hiking, and procrastinating my homework by watching cat and baby videos on YouTube.
This entry was posted in Around Boston, Clinical PsyD, Personal Growth and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.