Blitz

I intended to write this blog yesterday. My supervisor is out for the week and I had already seen each of my four clients. I has presumed that I would be able to leisurely enjoy a mug of tea while pondering which parts of my life I would share today, and how my roundabout metaphoric way of thinking would come together in a (hopefully) cohesive snapshot.
Just after my first sip, however, a face appeared in the narrow rectangle of a window in the office door. It was a young face, a male face, but most importantly it was an angry face. I opened the door to clenched fists, furious breathing, and a request to speak with my supervisor. After relaying her unavailability I immediately asked him to come in with a door opener “You look angry right now.”
BAM flood gates open. 40 minutes and 5 laps around the school later, we return to “my” office to retrieve his bag having discussed and dissected the situation that had got him so steamed. He had a plan, a good one. With the lowered head half smile that, in high school tough guy lingo, is equivalent to the hug of a five year old he sauntered out of the office and back to class.
I resumed my place in front of the computer, tea cold but brain and fingers running hot with a mixture of adrenaline, pride, and satisfaction in the completion of good work. I had no sooner re opened the file when another face appeared. 30 minutes and a scaffolded consultation with a teacher later, he too headed back to class. This time I decide to re heat my tea in the lounge, and return to the office to find one of my favorite visitors waiting in a chair outside the office. 15 minutes, several smiles, and a reassurance that he is very capable of attending college in the fall later he melts back into the crowd that is ever present in the library.
This pattern continued the remainder of the day. Other school mental health professionals may nod knowingly and think “Ah. The week after a vacation.” I had a rather lengthy email to send to my supervisor by 3 pm, keeping her apprised of my activity for the day, particularly as most of the students I saw are typically “hers”. There was a quick response, mostly of support and thanks, but with a brief “sorry your day was so busy!”. I was surprised: this had to have been the most interesting and rewarding day so far! This is the pace and pattern of my work at Walker, and the reason I believed School Psychology to be a good match for me. I hope tomorrow is just as unpredictable! 

About sthurstonmspp

I am a 28-year-old-School-Psychology-CAGS/PsyD-student. Whew, what a mouthful. Journey and Styx rock my world, and some hardcore volleyball makes it go round n' round. I have spend the past six years working at a school/residential facility for children with emotional and behavioral disorders, and when I tried to quit in order to begin grad school, it just didn't take- I continue to pick up shifts every week so I can see my kids. I am a new homeowner about 40 minutes outside of Boston (another favorite band) with my husband and my 3 year old (rescued) mutt, Maisy. I am going to do my best to invite you inside my thoughts as I continue my grad school career as a simultaneously juggle my full time internship, CAGS classes and begin my journey into the PsyD- enter at your own risk!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.