New Accreditation System?

This week in my Professional Seminar: Issues in Higher Education Service Personnel Administration course, we’re discussing Challenges Facing Higher Education.

My team discussion leader posted an article citing President Obama’s recent State of the Union Address, in which he briefly addressed a new higher ed accreditation system. In the accompanying domestic policy blueprint, he called for changes that would do away with the current system, providing federal financial aid for competency-based learning, MOOC’s and other innovations.

Academia is concerned about the federal government having a hand in determining the quality of post-secondary education. They believe that those types of decisions should be left to the academic community, so that the value of a college degree does not decrease.

At the same time, having a more inclusive accreditation system would allow more citizens to earn a degree. Those who do not do well in a classroom setting could still earn college credit based on their experiences and people can opt out of classes by taking tests.

I’m interested in what you readers think: does the federal government have a place in the higher education accreditation system? Is the system fine the way it is or is there room for inclusive improvement? Please feel free to read the article and post your thoughts in the comments.

About jackieqmspp

I'm Jackie, a MSPP Higher Education online student. I recently graduated from Roberts Wesleyan College just outside of Rochester, NY and I live in Spencerport, NY with my best friend/husband/boy-roommate and no pets or babies just yet, thank the Lord. I'm into crafting, reading, frozen brownie batter, twinkle lights, and spending time with my cute new husband. I currently hold down 2 part-time jobs, but am looking to get into Student Affairs once I complete the HESPA program. Working with college students is my passion, because it feels more like playing, and I'm looking forward to developing my career in Higher Education.

One Response to New Accreditation System?

1. Best perform youíve carried out, this web site is really interesting with superb details. Time is Godís technique for preserving everything from taking place without delayÖ.