A Million Tomorrows

Why do bad things happen all at once? If you’ve never thought about it, it’s absolutely true. For instance, this crazy blizzard that we’re just getting over completely screwed me over in so many different ways. Not only did I get stuck at the hospital working ridiculous hours all weekend, but the power was out at my house and at work, leaving me freezing no matter where I went. And the constant driving over ice and snow destroyed my breaks. My car was out of service for two day, leaving me home from school and internship. As you know, these are two very important parts of my education. Missing even one day is just not an option. Not to mention even affording the repairs to my car left me even more broke than I usually am.

This might just seem like a poor sob story, but in reality, being a student with a job, internship, homework, and a social life, is a really hard thing to do. There is no stopping and very little time to sit, breathe, and think about that “to-do” list you have. Your mind is the to-do list. There is no stopping. So when a blizzard messes up your usually semi-managable schedule, you get completely overwhelmed.

But, maybe the negative things are just positive life experiences. Experiences that help us when we’re older to relate to our former selves. This might be the only way to think of those things that mess up your jive and make you want to pull your hair out (which I was doing plenty of this week, trust me). Twelve years form now when I’m stuck in a similar situation, though, I’ll know what to do. Or at least I’ll have some basis on which to calm myself down and not have a quality freak out.

Isn’t all of life like this? We go through negative experiences just to get stronger from them? My feeble little example from the beginning isn’t really what I mean. I mean the hard things, the painful things that make us hit bottom only to soar back up? Isn’t that how we all found this field, found this school, and pushed forward toward our dreams? At least, this is how I get through those hard things. I try to think of the lessons learned and the positive messages buried deep within. It can be a hard lesson to learn, but it’s almost always worth it.

The really hard part is trying to teach our clients this, because most of the time they don’t want to listen. But, can’t we help them listen? I have so many clients right now that talk about their lives in such hopeless terms. My job is to help them see the positive. I think this is a great task, and I get a lot of enjoyment trying to help my clients. My internship has been such a positive experience for me. It’s the first time I’ve really felt like I’ve been making a big difference in someone else’s life. I really can’t wait to flesh out this profession during my life.

“Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it’s worth.” – Mary Schmich

About Ashley

I'm a 2nd year Counseling Psychology student, currently on track to graduate in June! My internship site is the F. L. Chamberlain School in Middleboro, MA. Last year I worked at Seven Hills Behavioral Health in New Bedford. I also work in the Arbour Health System at Pembroke Hospital on an acute psych inpatient unit. Got any questions? Let me know!