HESPA Field Project

As nerdy as it is to say, I’m excited for school to start up again. I have one specific reason though, and if it wasn’t for this reason, I’d be all for spending a few more weeks laying around the house, watching movies and baking cookies.

This reason is my Higher Education field project. One requirement for our online Higher Education program is that we have to complete an 80 hour field project sometime before our program is finished. As most of the students in my class are already in the field of Higher Education, they’re simply completing their projects wherever they work, but I work at an engineering company and in a restaurant, so that wouldn’t work very well for me.

After much searching, I found a placement at Monroe Community College in my hometown of Rochester, NY. It is one of the few community colleges that offers housing to its students, and this feature is still in its early stages, as the residence halls were opened not even 10 years ago. My job while at MCC will be to complete a comparative analysis between the programming that Residence Life at MCC offers and the programming of Residence Life at 4-year institutions across the United States. After my analysis is through, I’ll create a suggested Residence Life programming year-long schedule to provide to incoming students and their parents.

I’m excited to begin this project and that is such a wonderful place to be in. During my four years of obtaining my Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, I quickly learned that I didn’t want to be working directly in that field. I loved to study it, but it just wasn’t for me. I feel as if I’ve finally found something that I’m passionate about in Student Affairs and I can’t wait to make it my life’s work.

About jackieqmspp

I'm Jackie, a MSPP Higher Education online student. I recently graduated from Roberts Wesleyan College just outside of Rochester, NY and I live in Spencerport, NY with my best friend/husband/boy-roommate and no pets or babies just yet, thank the Lord. I'm into crafting, reading, frozen brownie batter, twinkle lights, and spending time with my cute new husband. I currently hold down 2 part-time jobs, but am looking to get into Student Affairs once I complete the HESPA program. Working with college students is my passion, because it feels more like playing, and I'm looking forward to developing my career in Higher Education.

6 Responses to HESPA Field Project

1. Pingback: Another Field Project Update & A Plea for Help | MSPP Student Voices

2. Pingback: Field Project Update | MSPP Student Voices

3. Pingback: Career Building in Student Affairs | MSPP Student Voices

4. TJ says:

Thanks Jackie, I’d appreciate that!

5. jackieqmspp says:

TJ, I’ll look into getting my project entered in the MSPP library when it’s completed. I’m not sure exactly what the criteria is, but I’ll try to figure it out!

6. TJ says:

Wow, that’s an ambitious and very interesting field project. Will it be in the MSPP library when completed? It would be great to be able to access it. Thx