[Insert trite, irritating title featuring the phrase "Who Let the Dogs Out"]

therapy dog

The “therapy dog” Annie at Wheelock today.peanut umberto franc mindyMy own three cats and dog hanging out in my bedroom. :)

I chose a college counseling center for my second-year practicum with the intention of strengthening my psychotherapy skills (as mentioned previously, my first-year site was a psychiatry unit, which fostered a short-term, assessment-based “medical” model) – I have found, however, that a college site comes with a range of other perks. There’s always so much going on on-campus: film screenings, performances, talks, dinners, people dressed cuter than me, and… dogs. Today was Therapy Dogs Day at Wheelock. That basically means that two dogs came in and everyone sat around poking at them and “awww”ing. And it was pretty awesome.

Most people I know, particularly many of my clients/students, report that animals serve as an effective stress reliever. As someone who has three cats and a dog, I can completely relate. I always wonder what it is about animals that promotes such a sense of ease. Sometimes I think that being with pets, given their lack of linguistic and social structures, allows us to default to a more basic rugged emotional way of relating and being. Or maybe they’re just cute.

Overall, Therapy Dogs Day was a success (not that it took much for it to be a success). Just another day in the life of a college-counseling intern. If you’re interested in further developing your psychotherapy skills, I definitely recommend pursuing a college counseling center for your practicum or internship as such a site gives you access to all of the playful and educational opportunities and resources available on-campus. You also get to learn all of the hip new lingo (I’m still in my twenties, but – I swear – the word “vibin’,” a word I regularly use now like I’m some huge goofball, was not in the vernacular when I was in college). Anyways, below are some pictures detailing some other recent on-campus attractions in which we interns participated.

My fellow interns, Emily (BC) and Jason (Lesley), helping out at Wheelock's Destress Day.

My fellow interns, Emily (BC) and Jason (Lesley), helping out at Wheelock’s Destress Day.

project fair

An academic fair at Wheelock.

A section of the AIDS Memorial Quilt displayed at Wheelock. In total, the quilt is 1.3 million square feet and features more than 94,000 names.

About sdmosaligantimspp

Originally from Washington, DC, I'm a second-year Clinical Psych. doctoral (PsyD) candidate. I earned my BA from Boston College and my MS in Psychology from Boston University, where I served as PI of a study that explored the relationship between social-category language and stereotypes. I work as a Peer Supervisor for Boston Area Rape Crisis Center and at MSPP, I serve as Co-Chair of the Gender Equality Committee. I like comedy, especially The Onion, and animals, and I live in Allston with five absurd roommates.

One Response to [Insert trite, irritating title featuring the phrase "Who Let the Dogs Out"]

1. Attractive element of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in
    accession capital to say that I get in fact loved account
    your weblog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing for your augment and even I fulfillment you get right of entry to consistently rapidly.