Greetings through hurricane-force winds

*This blog was written on the day of the hurricane but due to some technical issues I was unable to get it posted here until now.

Greetings! My name is Valerie and I am a 2nd (and final) year MA Counseling student with a specialization in Latino Mental Health. After multiple disagreements with technology, I am pleased to be writing my first blog as an MSPP student blogger!

Since threats of Hurricane Sandy’s presence have been making themselves known on the East Coast, I’m home from school today because classes were cancelled. Don’t be fooled! Not having school does NOT mean we are off the hook! I just finished submitting my research class homework assignment to Moodle since it was originally due in class. Instead of meeting in our small groups we have until Thursday (if the power is on) to comment on our group members’ work and make changes before we re-submit our edited assignments on Saturday.

Truthfully, despite the weather being rather menacing, it is nice to have a day at home to relax and not be scheduled to be somewhere. This semester has been a whirlwind of full-time classes, full-time 2nd year internship, plus a job that was offered to me by my 1st year placement. Somehow I’ve recently started working in an exercise routine at the gym, also! In between catching up on class readings and making phone calls to check-in with my parents in NY,  I am spending some serious quality time with Ralph and Lacey today. They are my furry companions who made the journey from NYC to MA with me last year so I would not be lonely in a new state. If all goes well, we will still have power tonight. If not, my kitchen is already stocked with jugs and bottles of water and food I made ahead of time since my entire apartment is electric, stove included.

I look forward to sharing more of my MSPP adventures with you all soon. Please stay safe and dry in this weather and take advantage of any quality time you can spend with loved ones! :-)Image

About abrigovmspp

Hi! My name is Valerie. I am in my 2nd year of the MA Counseling program at MSPP. I am also a student in the Latino Mental Health Program. I am originally from the New York City area and I transplanted to MA to study for my Masters. I look forward to writing and sharing my adventures throughout the semester.