If It’s Tuesday, This Must Be Wheelock College Counseling Center

Me with the amazing Emily (BC), my fellow Wheelock intern, in front of our Maslow-themed bulletin board

My second-year PsyD practicum is at Wheelock College, a program that complements my first-year practicum work at Newton-Wellesley Hospital’s Psychiatry Unit. I went from diagnoses, formal titles, and overhead lighting to psychotherapy, first-name bases, and Bed Bath & Beyond lamps.

When I first started interning here, the idea of engaging in 50-minute psychotherapy sessions intimidated me. What would happen if the client and I ran out of stuff to talk about? I could just imagine it: an awkward pause – I panic… and continue panicking as the awkward pause extends into an awkward minute… after which I frantically blurt out something – anything (“So, um, what’s your favorite candy? Do we really need any more half-hour cop dramas? What are your thoughts on US foreign policy in Libya?”).

Everyone starts out nervous when first performing psychotherapy, but, as a student here, your education, experiences, and personality will smoothly get you through. I’ve been able to recruit knowledge gained through my coursework and past and current practicum trainings – from CBT and motivational-interviewing techniques to psychodynamic and attachment theories – to help foster comfortable, engaging, and productive sessions. Amidst my crazy, hectic schedule, Tuesday is my most hefty-duty day as I tend to have up to seven sessions, but I’m no longer nervous – in fact, sometimes I wish the sessions could be longer than 50 minutes, but I might feel different about that in a couple months or so… I’ll keep you updated!

About sdmosaligantimspp

Originally from Washington, DC, I'm a second-year Clinical Psych. doctoral (PsyD) candidate. I earned my BA from Boston College and my MS in Psychology from Boston University, where I served as PI of a study that explored the relationship between social-category language and stereotypes. I work as a Peer Supervisor for Boston Area Rape Crisis Center and at MSPP, I serve as Co-Chair of the Gender Equality Committee. I like comedy, especially The Onion, and animals, and I live in Allston with five absurd roommates.
This entry was posted in Clinical PsyD. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to If It’s Tuesday, This Must Be Wheelock College Counseling Center

1. You can certainly see your skills within the article you write.
    The sector hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe.

Always go after your heart.

2. We’re a bunch of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with valuable info to work on. You have performed an impressive activity and our entire neighborhood will likely be grateful to you.

3. Hello! I’ve been reading your website for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from New Caney Tx! Just wanted to say keep up the excellent job!

4. wcdsa.com says:

Undeniably believe that that you said. Your
    favorite justification seemed to be at the internet the simplest thing to
    take note of. I say to you, I certainly get irked whilst folks think about issues that
    they just do not recognize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest as neatly as outlined out the whole thing with
    no need side-effects , other people could take a signal.
    Will likely be again to get more. Thanks