Just Getting Started

Hello everyone!  My name is Hannah and I am one of the new bloggers.  I thought I’d use my first post to tell you a little about myself and fill you in on my undergrad -> grad school transition so far.

I grew up in the teeny tiny village of Ames, NY, with a population of 145 people.  Yes, not 145,000, just 1-4-5.  My grandparents owned a 300 cow Holstein dairy farm about a mile and a half down the road from my house.  When I was 8, we moved into the “town” of Canajoharie, to be closer to the school, with a whopping population of 3,750.

My cow, Baby!

Needless to say, moving to Boston was a big change for me.  It’s still a love-hate relationship at the moment with the big city.  On the one hand, MSPP is here, there is so much to do, and there are so many wonderful people.  And on the other, there are so many cars and traffic!  At home, the closest thing we had to traffic was getting stuck behind a tractor or an Amish family with their horse and buggy.

Luckily, I did have a few years of a transition period of sorts in college.  I went to Wesleyan University for my undergrad, and although Middletown, CT isn’t a huge city, it was a nice segue into more urban-living.   I would also say that my education there definitely prepared me for the graduate school work load, which is pretty extensive.

Any transition is hard.  Whether you are moving away from home, changing jobs, or even making new friends, change can be really difficult.  I am fortunate enough to be making my latest transition at MSPP.  Everyone is so warm and welcoming, and although I’ve only been here a little over a month, it already feels like home.  I chose MSPP because I felt an incredible sense of community at interview day, and I am reminded of that fact every single day of this program.  We talked at orientation about meaningful transitions, and what tools you need to make a successful one.  The unanimous decision around the room was support.  No matter how hard things get, I feel supported and cared for by everyone in the MSPP community.

Thank you to everyone here that has made that possible.

1st day at MSPP

About Hannah

Hello, my name is Hannah and I am a 1st year student in the clinical PsyD program at MSPP. I graduated from Wesleyan University last year with my B.A. in Psychology. I am originally from a very small farm town in upstate NY. My personal interests include baking, running, hiking, and procrastinating my homework by watching cat and baby videos on YouTube.
This entry was posted in Applying to MSPP, Around Boston, Clinical PsyD and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Just Getting Started

1. Pingback: Moving West and The Meaning of “Everything” | MSPP Student Voices

2. Hannah says:

Well, I don’t work for admissions, so I really couldn’t tell you how they make their decisions. What I can tell you, is that if you step foot on campus for 10 minutes, you will fall and love and not want to apply anywhere else. (That’s what happened to me, anyway). Coming to campus and meeting the professors and students just gives you a really great feel for the warm, community-oriented environment MSPP prides itself on. I do also know that MSPP does definitely understand that everyone has unique circumstances, and wants to give everyone equal opportunity. If you for some reason can’t make the trip, I’m sure that if you just explain that to admissions, they will be understanding and accommodating. One of my classmates did that because he was in Korea! Best of luck!

3. Daphne says:

Thanks! Do you think it will hurt my chance of getting in if I opt for a phone/skype interview instead of being there physically?

4. I went to Wes, too!!! Loved it there, I think you’re going to keep loving it here as well! Welcome! It will be nice to have another Cardinal on campus.

5. Hannah says:

It’s definitely do-able, but if you ever want to talk more about it in depth, feel free to email me! hannah_monk@mspp.edu

Thanks for reading, Daphne!

6. Daphne says:

Glad you wrote this because I really want to go to MSP. I’m from GA & I love to drive my car so I wasn’t sure if Boston was a city for me. My town isn’t as small as yours so if you can do it, I can do it. Thanks.