Before the music starts playing…

This week marks our last full week of classes. We are done with 9 hour Mondays, bidding adieu to our Tuesday and Wednesday nights, and beginning to look ahead to our finals and first year exam. I admit that, at the beginning of this semester, I viewed a couple of the class syllabi with outright horror. I could not begin to imagine completing some of the laborious, new, and intimidating assignments. A full case study? A Functional Behavioral Assessment? Those are the things that real school psychologists do! How can I possibly be ready to to it, too?
Looking back I almost feel as though there was some illusion, some magic trick involved. Voila! We have cast a spell and magically stuffed years of learning into your turbo charged brain!
In fact, I have put in the effort and gained skills rapidly. Importantly, however, I have done so with a little help from my friends & the MSPP community. So thanks- thanks to my cohort of wildly supportive, always willing to laugh at 6:50 pm, bagel bringing and Bananagram playing friends. Thanks to my professors, whose high level of expectations and precariously balanced workload energized our learning. Thanks to all of my advisors/supervisors, from the program director to the 3rd year intern at my field site. Thanks to my family & loved ones, and to my dog, who made it impossible to stay in any sort of work induced coma.
Cue the orchestra…

About sthurstonmspp

I am a 28-year-old-School-Psychology-CAGS/PsyD-student. Whew, what a mouthful. Journey and Styx rock my world, and some hardcore volleyball makes it go round n' round. I have spend the past six years working at a school/residential facility for children with emotional and behavioral disorders, and when I tried to quit in order to begin grad school, it just didn't take- I continue to pick up shifts every week so I can see my kids. I am a new homeowner about 40 minutes outside of Boston (another favorite band) with my husband and my 3 year old (rescued) mutt, Maisy. I am going to do my best to invite you inside my thoughts as I continue my grad school career as a simultaneously juggle my full time internship, CAGS classes and begin my journey into the PsyD- enter at your own risk!

3 Responses to Before the music starts playing…

1. wish you success, thank for sharing

2. The first time I know this information, thank for sharing. I will remember it