My Very First Session as a Therapist

Today I met with my very first client and conducted my first therapy session as an independent clinician.  Just as a reminder, I started up my practicum placement in mid-January as my first placement didn’t end up working out.  So, I have been spending time at two sites: a trauma clinic for children and a group home for adolescent boys.  At the trauma clinic I have been doing co-therapy with another clinician, but today marked the very start of my independent work at the group home.  Until now I had been reading through the boys charts and spending time with them in the milieu setting to get to know them and to familiarize myself with the program.  Most recently my supervisor and I decided together that I was ready to take on my own cases and I can now officially say that I have begun my career as a therapist!

I must say, I was pretty nervous going into my first session today, but mostly I was excited.  After all, this was the moment I had been anticipating since deciding that I wanted to pursue a degree in counseling!  I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable I felt upon starting the session and I almost immediately felt at ease.  As I spent time getting to know my client, the conversation flowed smoothly and my role seemed to come naturally.  Overall, I was really pleased with how our session went and I’m really excited to begin our work together.

After I left my practicum this evening I found myself smiling on my ride home and I experienced one of those moments where I knew I was in the right place, doing the right thing.  As I am embarking on a new journey towards developing a professional career it is nice to experience such a moment of affirmation where I know I am headed on the right path.

About agareaumspp

Hi! My name is Ashley Gareau and I am a first year student in the Master’s in Counseling Psychology program at MSPP. I graduated from Lafayette College in May of 2009 with a B.A. in Psychology and moved to the Boston area shortly thereafter. Following my undergrad years I assumed a position at Children’s Hospital Boston working as an Administrative Assistant for one of the physicians. While working at Children’s I spent a lot of time volunteering with patients on the organ transplant unit and discovered a passion for health psychology. Alas, I decided to attend graduate school for counseling and I have hopes of applying to Psy.D programs when I am done with my master’s. When I’m not studying or doing work (which is rare these days!) I can be found doing yoga, knitting, playing with my dog, or spending time with my family and friends. Also, I absolutely love the outdoors and try to ski, hike, and bike as much as I can! Welcome to my blog and I look forward to sharing my journey through graduate school with you all!
This entry was posted in Counseling Psychology, Personal Growth. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to My Very First Session as a Therapist

1. Heya are using WordPress forr your site platform? I’m new to thhe blog world but I’m trying tto get started and create my
    own. Do you need any html coding knowledge to make your own blog?

Any help would bbe rerally appreciated!

2. Hey! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before
    but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.

Nonetheless, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and
    checking back often!

3. I have been browsing online more than three hours today, yet
    I never discovered any inbteresting article like yours.
    It’s beautiful value sufficient for me. Personally, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet can
    be much more useful than ever before.

4. What’s Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled
    upon this I’ve found It absolutely helpful and
    it has helped me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & help other customers like its helped me.
    Good job.

5. employment says:

There are three steps to answering this interview question, yet most candidates only keep to
    the first two. These employment interview tips profit the candidate in preparing for the interview effectively.
    What is really a typical career path for someone hired into this position.
    One more beneficial example is really a mature female who
    had been inquired about her weak points. Repeat the question to
    yourself, either within your head or aloud to the interviewer, to ensure that you be familiar with the question correctly.

6. I’m not sure exactly why but this website is loading very slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end?
    I’ll check back ater on and see if the problem still exists.

7. Juliana says:

Hey there! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new iphone!
    Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts!
    Keep up the superb work!

8. Heey there! I know this iis kinda off topic but I waas wondering which blog platform are youu using for this website?
    I’m getting tired of WordPress because I’ve hadd problems with hackers and I’m looking at options
    for another platform. I would be great if you could point me in
    the direction of a good platform.

9. Hello! This iss my first visit to your blog! We are a collection
    of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us useful information to work on.

You have done a outstanding job!

10. Definitely believe that which you said. Your favoriote reason
    appeared to bee on the web the simplest factor
    to bear iin mind of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed even as folks think about worries that thesy just
    do not undersatand about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top as well as outlined out the entire thing with no need
    side effect , people cokuld take a signal. Will probably be back to get more.
    Thanks

11. I need to to thank you for this excellent read!
    ! I absolutely loved every little bit of it.
    I’ve got you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post…