What do school psychologists do, exactly?

School psychologists….

write reports.

call parents.

administer academic and cognitive assessments.

play Chutes & Ladders.

rely on statistical knowledge.

organize social skills groups.

implement preventive mental health programs.

make copies.

attend Child Study Team meetings.

rewrite reports.

consult with teachers.

help figure out if a child should receive Special Education services.

liaison with community health organizations.

research topics relevant to their students and school.

write 504 health accommodation plans.

counsel students.

evaluate programs.

run Individualized Education Plan meetings.

work with students on transition planning.

collaborate with speech-language pathologists, occupational therapists, special education teachers, school administrators, physical therapists, social workers, guidance counselors, and many others.

implement behavior management plans.

attend morning circle time.

write student education goals.

prepare for state-administered assessments for students with documented disabilities.

observe students in the classroom.

eat cafeteria pizza.

make recommendations.

strive to reduce bullying.

assess curriculum.

head professional development trainings.

ensure that students’ psychological & educational needs are being met.


About shansenmspp

I am a second-year school psychology student. I completed my undergraduate degree at Macalester College, with majors in Sociology and Spanish. In addition, I have a master's degree in Public Affairs. I have worked as a language teacher in the U.S. and Latin America, and I speak Spanish and some Portuguese. I love reading, yoga, cooking, traveling, and hanging out with good friends. Oh, and playing with my impish rescue pup, Atlas.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to What do school psychologists do, exactly?

  1. What do school psychologists do, exactly? | MSPP Student Voices,
    appears to be a terrific title to give this specific article.
    Where can I learn even more regarding this?

  2. Jamie says:

    Of course! It is alsbluteoy possible. Certainly you will need to obtain your PhD or PsyD in Clinical Psychology, and specialize in Child Psychology, and that takes time and a lot of work.But if that is what your love to do, then do it! It is so important to work at what you love, and the world needs people like you who are, above all, committed to helping others.I wish you the brightest of futures.

Comments are closed.