Living in Boston

Before starting at MSPP, I had been to Boston only twice in my life: once when I had a layover at Logan airport, and then again when I came into town for my interview at MSPP.  So, when it was time for me to find an apartment, my wife and I had no idea where to begin.  After a lot of help from my mom and some helpful real estate agents who I met through craigslist posts, we found a nice apartment in a quiet neighborhood.  We’ve stayed in the same building ever since.  I like living in Boston quite a bit.  It’s big enough that there’s always something to do, but small enough that it’s easy to get around.  There’s a lot of diversity, which means there are great restaurants everywhere.  I’ve found that as long as sports and/or driving are not involved, Bostonians are wonderfully friendly and interesting.

Anyhow, I thought I would share what I’ve learned about apartment hunting in Boston, which will hopefully be helpful to any readers who are looking for a place to live right now.

Ten things you should know about apartment hunting in the Boston area:

1. A lot of the apartments listed on craigslist (in Boston, anyway) are associated with a real estate group.  In fact, when I looked a few years back, I couldn’t find any that were not.  Unfortunately, the real estate agents are expensive (they typically ask for about half a month’s rent if you sign a lease).  However, they are quite knowledgeable and will help you find what you’re looking for.
  2. If you’re planning on living in Allston, don’t.  Allston is an attractive neighborhood to many people, because it’s cheap, has easy access to the T (Boston’s public transit system), and has a good night life (good bars, restaurants, music venues, etc).  However, it’s also dirty, crowded, loud, and perpetually swarming with drunk college students.
  3. Brighton has all of the positive features of Allston with few of the negatives.  It’s right next to Allston, and it’s easy to get to most parts of both Cambridge and Boston.  Apartments in Brighton are relatively affordable, there are plenty of good restaurants and bars there, and it’s usually quiet by 11:00.
  4. Jamaica Plain can be a very nice place to live, but some parts of it are pretty sketchy.  There are some great apartments in J.P., but make sure that you’ll be able to comfortably and safely walk to and from your apartment at night.
  5. Brookline is a very cool area, but in my experience, it’s pretty hard to find affordable parking there.  A few of the places I looked at were asking for $200 a month for parking.
  6. Make sure you consider the parking situation wherever you live.  When you get home at the end of a long day, trust me, you’re not going to want to mess around looking for a place to park.
  7. It’s not very hard to find a place with the utilities included in the rent.  I highly recommend doing so.  A lot of the houses up here are old (and thus poorly insulated), and have old fashioned (and very expensive) oil heat.  In the winter months, heating a house like that could cost $400 a month.  I’ve heard some MSPP students talk about saving money by wearing coats inside their homes and drinking lots of hot drinks.  I, on the other hand, pump the thermostat to 70 degrees and let my landlord pick up the tab.
  8. If you can, look for an apartment when it’s cold outside.  That way, you’ll be able to see how well insulated the place is.  Believe me guys, it gets cold here sometimes.  You want to live somewhere that can keep the cold out.
  9. Find out about snow removal before you rent.  Some landlords (like mine) will do this for you, but others do not.  When you’re getting ready for school/practicum in the mornings next year, the last thing you’ll want to do is get up early to shovel snow.
  10. When you consider where you want to live, remember that you will not only be commuting to MSPP, but also to a practicum site.  I’ve heard plenty of horror stories about this.

I hope that’s helpful.  Feel free to post comments/questions/feedback/whatever.  Happy renting!

About sskeenmspp

Hey everyone, my name is Sam Skeen. I’m currently a third year PsyD student. I’m primarily interested in individual therapy with adults and adolescents and assessment with people of all ages. This year, I’m doing my field placement work at Joseph M. Smith Community Health Center, where I am learning to conduct therapy in Spanish. I also have a part time job at MSPP’s Academic Resource Center, where I help other MSPP students complete challenging academic tasks. In my spare time, I like to exercise, cook, mess with my cat (an activity that once screened me as a potential sociopath on a personality test), update my fantasy hockey lineup obsessively, and of course, satiate my Words with Friends addiction.
This entry was posted in Clinical PsyD. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Living in Boston

1. Landing pages, of just looks alike a heavyweight firehose!

I conceive to show you our body-build twitter followers software system new constructs nearly
    to the level of traveling brainsick. So, are
    you beginning appears a slight bit messy, and it’s decent to have a native built-in result.
    Let me show you a new planetary, a global that will hold men a chance to workplace,
    that will afford young a future and old age protection.

2. anti wrinkle says:

Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular article!
    It is the little changes that produce the most significant changes.
    Thanks a lot for sharing!

3. It’s an amazing article in favor of all the online visitors; they will obtain advantage from it I am sure.

4. Hi there, yeah this piece of writing is in fact pleasant and I have learned lot of things from
    it regarding blogging. thanks.

5. great surprise-but I would prefer less of such surprises

6. AmberDK says:

Visit http://hackzforgames.com/?p=336 for Words With Friends Hack Tool. You can add yourself Tokens or set unlimited tokens !

7. sskeenmspp says:

MSPP has a community bulletin board online as part of “mycampus,” an online service that the school uses. On the board, students post job opportunities, roommate ads, etc. However, I just tried to access it, and it appears to be down at the moment. Oh well, I’m sure it will be up and running in no time.

You could also try finding roommates online, on craigslist or roommates.com. I’ve heard some success stories from those sites, but also some horror stories, so use them carefully.

Finally, I know some MSPP students who lived alone their first year, and then moved in with roommates for their second year, after they’d settled down and gotten familiar with the area. That might not be a bad way to do things if you really don’t know anyone you’d want to live with.

8. I have not heard anything about what you put here because they are not English, your blog is very good. Greetings from Spain.

9. That was very helpful! Thank you!! I plan on starting to look a.s.a.p. I too have only been to Boston two or three times so I feel in the dark about the ins and outs of the city. This blog held useful information though. Any ideas on finding roommates!? I heard MSPP offers a website that includes a forum for students from out of state. Any ideas?