Busy Bee

Now that I am over a month into my second semester, I have fully settled into the swing of things and I am finding myself quite busy these days.  I thought I would give all you prospective students out there a sneak peak into what my schedule is like as a guide to what life is like as a graduate student.  So, here is a week in the life of a first year counseling student…

Mondays I am at my practicum at the group home for adolescent boys from 9-3.  I attend staff meetings in the morning and then spend time with the boys in the afternoon.  As of next week I will be starting my first in-home therapy case for my other practicum site from 3:30-5.  I’ve been paired up with one of the clinicians from the trauma clinic and we will be going out together to work with a family and I’m really excited as I anticipate that it will be a great learning experience.  Tuesdays I am at the trauma clinic (my second practicum site) from 8-12 where I attend trainings, staff meetings, and supervision.  Then I scoot to MSPP for classes from 1-6:20.  I have my seminar and my expressive therapies class.  Right now in seminar we are doing practice therapy sessions with our classmates which we will be writing a case formulation paper for at the end of the semester that we will be presenting to the class.  In my expressive therapies class this week we focused on play therapy and sand tray therapy- which I absolutely love.

Wednesdays and Thursdays I baby-sit from 3-8, and I try to do homework in the mornings.  Lastly, Fridays I have class from 9-4: substance abuse and assessment and appraisal.  In between all of that I’m writing for the student blog and I TRY to find time to make it to the gym.  Whew…all I have to say is thank god for the weekends!

About agareaumspp

Hi! My name is Ashley Gareau and I am a first year student in the Master’s in Counseling Psychology program at MSPP. I graduated from Lafayette College in May of 2009 with a B.A. in Psychology and moved to the Boston area shortly thereafter. Following my undergrad years I assumed a position at Children’s Hospital Boston working as an Administrative Assistant for one of the physicians. While working at Children’s I spent a lot of time volunteering with patients on the organ transplant unit and discovered a passion for health psychology. Alas, I decided to attend graduate school for counseling and I have hopes of applying to Psy.D programs when I am done with my master’s. When I’m not studying or doing work (which is rare these days!) I can be found doing yoga, knitting, playing with my dog, or spending time with my family and friends. Also, I absolutely love the outdoors and try to ski, hike, and bike as much as I can! Welcome to my blog and I look forward to sharing my journey through graduate school with you all!
This entry was posted in Counseling Psychology. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Busy Bee

1. Louie Bouret says:

Crazy trades. The male head piece alone is 5m right now.