The Rest is Pretty Much History

Question: How many papers can a Jessica write in a weekend?

Answer: an 8 page paper, a 5 page paper, and brainstorming/1st draft of a 7 page paper. (Not to mention all the reading that needs to be done for her upcoming weekend in residence.)

Is that normal? I am not entirely sure. What I am sure of, however, is that if I can pull through this then the payoff will be HUGE!! (Once I finish my Masters I plan to go on to a doctoral program. I like the sound of “Dr. Garcia.”)

In other news, I have been anxiously waiting to hear back from a number of sites about interviews for internship next year. I am amazed that I am already going through that process because I feel like I just started my practicum! In reality it has been about 5 months but some days it seems like only yesterday.

I remember the feeling of sending off my application for practicum placement and wondering if I would ever get placed anywhere. Although I came to MSPP with a B.S. in psychology I started to feel like: “Maybe no one is going to want me. I have never worked in a clinical setting before.” I was glad to find that those thoughts could not have been farther from the truth. I was able to land three interviews and three offers.

Of course, there was one site that I could not wait to hear back from. When I got the phone call that Stevens Treatment Programs was offering me a position I could barely control myself. It took all of my strength to not blurt out “YES!” before my soon-to-be supervisor finished asking me if I was still interested.

The rest is pretty much history. I love my placement. However, it would have been a much different experience if I did not have the endless support of the entire Stevens team and a number of people at MSPP. Along the way I have dealt with Dr. Napolitano (the Associate Director of Field Education who aided me in my practicum search), Gretchen Nash (the “Jane of all trades” who helped me edit my CV and cover letter), Dr. Clark (my wonderful advisor), Dr. Schoeller (my awesome Practicum Seminar professor), and Dr. Orozco, Dr. Bianco, Dr. Larson,  and Dr. Alajarma (my wicked cool Forensic and Counseling Psych professors).

Stevens Treatment Programs campus

:-) (I threw “wicked” in there because I heard it was a Boston thing.) :-)

So… to everyone I mentioned… THANK YOU!

About jgarciamspp

Hello! My name is Jessica Garcia. I am an Arizona native and have moved to the greater Boston area to attend graduate school at MSPP. I graduated, summa cum laude, from Arizona State University (the Barrett Honors College). I received my Bachelor of Science in Psychology. I am currently a 1st year Clinical PsyD student, doing my practicum at FMC Devens. On a more personal note, I love music, theater, reading, learning new languages, and my little dog.
This entry was posted in Forensic Psychology and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The Rest is Pretty Much History

1. Super blog. Bardzo lubie go czytać.Jak masz czas wyjdz do mnie na stronke

2. Hey, I sincerely like studying this. One point I have got to say is your writing experience are very good. This site procured by you is very practical for proper planning. Thnx.

Webmaster of Computer To Buy.

3. Hi there, I have seen a lot of blogs but I really like the layout of yours. Keep up the good work. Thanks for this good post.

Webmaster of Laserand Inkjet Printer.

4. Hi there. You have an awsome site! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. Thanks.

Webmaster of Invest $55 Helping People.

5. Hey, nice post you have got there, keep up the good work! Great article!

Webmaster of Bank Transfer.

6. Взыскиваем и возвращаем долги от 5 млн рублей цивилизованным путем. Звоните.

Webmaster of ВЗЫСКАНИЕ И ВОЗВРАТ ДОЛГОВ.

7. This Foscam FI8904W camera, has a wider viewing angle than most and makes it easy to watch a large area without having to move it too far back.

Webmaster of Foscam FI8904W.

8. BJE510XL says:

The Breville BJE510XL Ikon 900-Watt Variable-Speed Juice Extractor is the third juicer I’ve owned, and is definitely my favorite.

Webmaster of BJE510XL.

9. Congrats Jessica…Its a great Accomplishment, indeed.. But don’t forget the people who helped you reach at the top.. :)

10. Congrats Jessica, that is QUITE the accomplishment. :D

Mesothelial Cells

11. Jessica Garcia says:

I love freedom! ;-)

12. Paul says:

Go, Jessica! Freedom!!!