Getting A Late Start

Even though our Spring semester started last week, I have yet to attend my first class, or even take a look at a syllabus.  I like to think that I have a pretty good excuse; last week, I married my high school sweetheart.  The experience was wonderful from start to finish, and I could go on and on about it, but that’s probably a little outside of this blog’s focus.  Instead, I’ll briefly answer the questions that everyone seems to be asking me: yes, my wife and I are exhausted but very happy; no, the ring doesn’t feel weird or take much adjustment; and no, other than the recent excitement, married life doesn’t really feel much different (so far, anyway).

Of course, now that the festivities are over, it’s time for me to return to the real world.  Before leaving town for the wedding, I wrote myself a note, which I read upon my return.  The note reminded me that: 1) If I wanted clean underwear, laundry had to be done immediately, 2) I needed to write my first blog post, and 3) My first class was Wednesday, and I better start catching up on missed work.  You’ll all be relieved to know that I’ve taken care of item one, and obviously, I’m working on item two at the moment.  Preparing for classes, however, has been on the backburner, and once I post this blog entry I really need to get to work.

One of the first experiences I remember at MSPP was our “fundamentals week” at the start of my first year.  I had already been drawn to the school’s warm and friendly atmosphere when I had interviewed, but in her welcome speech, our wonderful dean, Dr. Fran Mervyn, made me feel even more at ease.  Before telling us anything else, Fran gave us steel water bottles and warned us of the dangers of overusing plastics.  I couldn’t help but think of my mother, (“Sam, you really shouldn’t put that plastic coffee mug in the dishwasher”), and I felt an immediate sense of being taken care of.  Next, she said that the school would always be happy to work with us when we had to neglect school duties in favor of important events in our personal lives.  “Life happens,” she had said.  My wedding was the first time I experienced what Fran had described, and it’s nice to see how right she was.  I am taking four classes with three professors this semester, in addition to my 20 weekly hours at my internship.  Each of my professors and supervisors have been incredibly flexible, tolerant, and helpful.

With that said, I should probably get down to business.

Image

About sskeenmspp

Hey everyone, my name is Sam Skeen. I’m currently a third year PsyD student. I’m primarily interested in individual therapy with adults and adolescents and assessment with people of all ages. This year, I’m doing my field placement work at Joseph M. Smith Community Health Center, where I am learning to conduct therapy in Spanish. I also have a part time job at MSPP’s Academic Resource Center, where I help other MSPP students complete challenging academic tasks. In my spare time, I like to exercise, cook, mess with my cat (an activity that once screened me as a potential sociopath on a personality test), update my fantasy hockey lineup obsessively, and of course, satiate my Words with Friends addiction.

12 Responses to Getting A Late Start

1. Atut says:

interesting article :D
    Best regards Atut from Poland

2. Sukces says:

Sweet photo on the end :)
    Best regards

3. I’d have to check with you here. Which is not one thing I usually do! I get pleasure from reading a publish that may make individuals think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to comment!

4. Great blog post. I like how you list your tasks which need completing. Maybe I should do the same, especially when it comes to doing chores!

5. That LOOKS like so much FUN! :D I would’ve totally enjoyed being there with you guys. :) Let me know when you have another party.

Mesothelial Cells

6. Nice site you have here, most of the information is pretty accurate. I’m going to send your link to some of my friends if that’s okay with you.Thanks for sharing…

7. jamie says:

fair play to you mate

8. Jessica says:

Nice way to start the semester. Good luck with everything.

9. I’d have to check with you here. Which is not one thing I usually do! I get pleasure from reading a publish that may make individuals think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to comment!

10. sskeenmspp says:

Thank you Zain! It’s always nice to hear comments like that. Best wishes to you as well.

11. Hey, I just stumbled upon this blog accidentally and I want to congratulate for your wedding. Just hope that you have a great professional career too.