The Arabic Evangelical Baptist Church of Boston

Although my first semester as a graduate student has come and gone I wanted to take this time to acknowledge what an amazingly transformative experience it was for me. To personify this transformation I will tell the super shortened version of my immersion project (aka My Favorite Assignment!). As the final assignment for my Psychology of Diversity and Difference class I chose to immerse myself (racially and religiously) by attending the Arabic Evangelic Baptist Church of Boston.

–Keep in mind that I grew up Catholic and am of Mexican, Irish, and Italian decent.

Rev. Khaled Ghobrial of the Arabic Evangelical Baptist Church

***

Driving up to the church I was surprised to see a large yet modest brick building rather than the expected ornate quality of so many mosques. As I parked my vehicle in the church parking lot I began to feel nervous. Since I was not able to secure an official interview date and time I worried that I would be turned away. However, something inside of me told me to proceed. As I rang the doorbell to the main entrance I feared that no one would answer the door. The longer I stood at the door the more anxious I became. Maybe they’re watching me and do not like the way I am dressed. Maybe they will not be helpful. What if I make them angry? I should just leave.

The second that I convinced myself to leave someone came to the door. A gentleman -that I would later learn was named Saleem- kindly waved me into the church and asked what he could do for me. After I explained that I was a student at MSPP who was looking to finish up an immersion project I was informed that several members were working to prepare the church for a bible study later that night.

I spent the next two hours drinking tea, wandering about the church, and aiding Saleem in setting up for the bible study. Throughout that time I was introduced and warmly greeted by a number of members of the congregation. Everyone seemed curious as to my presence and had no qualms about walking right up to me and introducing themselves. Every single person I met made me feel right at home, like I had instantly made a new group of lifelong friends.

As the bible study was about to start a young man brought over a headset and asked me to put it on. I was assured that because I did not speak Arabic there would be a translator just for me. I was moved by the constant hospitable nature of these people. I listened to the entire bible study and prayer meeting with a smile on my face. I even managed to offer a bigger smile when I met the eyes of several of the church members who had turned around throughout the small service to make sure that I was still there.

At the end of the two-hour meeting I thanked the pastor and practically skipped out to my car. All the while I was clutching my iPhone, now containing the contact information of a handful of church members I had met over the course of the evening. In fact, I am still in touch with several of those people and am making a point to attend a full service this month.

***

The last thing I assumed would come out of my time spent with the Arab Evangelical Baptists was the feeling of being comfortable around them. Interestingly enough, that is exactly what happened. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute spent in that church and with the church members. I learned to understand a group of individuals that I felt were so far different from me by simply allowing myself to experience them.

And this is just one example of how I have been changed by attending MSPP. The transformation is scary, astounding, amazing… I can’t wait to see what this semester brings.

About jgarciamspp

Hello! My name is Jessica Garcia. I am an Arizona native and have moved to the greater Boston area to attend graduate school at MSPP. I graduated, summa cum laude, from Arizona State University (the Barrett Honors College). I received my Bachelor of Science in Psychology. I am currently a 1st year Clinical PsyD student, doing my practicum at FMC Devens. On a more personal note, I love music, theater, reading, learning new languages, and my little dog.
This entry was posted in Forensic Psychology and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The Arabic Evangelical Baptist Church of Boston

1. Howdy would you mind letting me know which web host you’re
    working with? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different web browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most.
    Can you suggest a good internet hosting provider at a
    reasonable price? Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

2. Excellent website. A lot of helpful information here. I am sending it to several pals ans also sharing in delicious.
    And naturally, thanks in your effort!

3. When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I
    get several e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove
    people from that service? Appreciate it!

4. These are actually great ideas in about blogging. You have touched some nice factors here.
    Any way keep up wrinting.

5. Hi there, I found your web site by means of Google at the same time as looking for a similar topic, your
    site came up, it looks great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hello there, simply become alert to your blog thru Google, and located that it’s truly informative.

I’m going to be careful for brussels. I’ll be grateful if you proceed this
    in future. Many other people will probably be benefited out of your writing.
    Cheers!

6. junk car nj says:

Nice post. This church is awesome. This is a welcome change from the usual accounts that decorate Christians in such a contradictory lightweight. we can always discover certain thing from everyone and this time you provide such a nice information to learn something.

7. I can really learn a lot of this person. Keep doing the right things!

8. Arabic chat says:

I have been there, this church is awesome. thank you for taking care of our Boston community

9. Sofiel says:

RefugeeWorks :: Link Directory 97 Local Refugee Resettlement Agencies. Church World Service/IRP Miami, FL Episcopal Migration Ministries Miami, FL . Arab Community Center for Economics and Social Services (ACCESS) Dearborn, MI . Catholic Charities of Dallas, Refugee & Empowerment Services Dallas, TX ..CopticChurch.Net – Coptic Orthodox Church Network. Website about Coptic Orthodox Church, includes deteilad information on Coptic Church history, Dogmas… Real audio Coptic Hymns, liturgies, and sermons..Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church. Adult/Senior Fellowship Arcadian Association “Tripolitsa” of Dallas . View Church Calendar . News and Events. 2011 Greek Food Festival of Dallas ..

10. Thanks for sharing this.. This person is my inspiration!

11. Atut says:

Interesting story. Respect for the author as an approach

12. Laasesmed Råd om sikkerhed says:

Howdy! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website? I’m getting sick and tired of WordPress because I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

13. Very nice story by you..I have learned a lot from your story because it inspires me a lot.

14. i like your story so much, thank you guy

15. I agree it is nice when you see things come together so nicely and more than anything put Christians in a positive light, it is just great to see

16. As it says in scripture, good fruits come from people of God. Nice article

17. very interesting your story, we can always learn something from everyone and in this case you learned a lot and you’ve shared, thank you very much

18. I can always tell when someone has a goodness in them at weddings. As a photographer you sense these things. I can tell when a wedding has no feeling to it.

19. tmclaude says:

Great post. It’s good to se goodness in such a nice person. This is a welcome change from the normal reports that paint Christians in such a negative light.
    Thanks