Sparklers and Frosting

how fun is this??

The cake seemed to glow in the lighting of the common room, our names etched in glistening pink frosting on its sides. There was a low buzz of voices throughout the spaces, increasing in volume as another student finished the test and joined us. Within 10 minutes the class had reassembled in the common room and the chatter became loud and excited.

We had finished our first final, finished our first class of our first semester of our first year in graduate school.

The test itself was anticlimactic; it was exactly what the professor had said it would be, with information that we all knew from our months of class. But to realize that we are almost done with our first semester felt momentous- still feels momentous. She brought out sparklers, and the fizzing sparks were the perfect touch to the sense of elation we all felt.

I have a feeling that the next few years are going to evaporate as fast as this first few months, and that I will one day look back and think “Boy, I wish I was back in school again!” After all, the older you get, the less happy you are to see a cake with your name on it.

About sthurstonmspp

I am a 28-year-old-School-Psychology-CAGS/PsyD-student. Whew, what a mouthful. Journey and Styx rock my world, and some hardcore volleyball makes it go round n' round. I have spend the past six years working at a school/residential facility for children with emotional and behavioral disorders, and when I tried to quit in order to begin grad school, it just didn't take- I continue to pick up shifts every week so I can see my kids. I am a new homeowner about 40 minutes outside of Boston (another favorite band) with my husband and my 3 year old (rescued) mutt, Maisy. I am going to do my best to invite you inside my thoughts as I continue my grad school career as a simultaneously juggle my full time internship, CAGS classes and begin my journey into the PsyD- enter at your own risk!
This entry was posted in Personal Growth, School Psychology. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Sparklers and Frosting

1. First and foremost I would like to congratulate you on the completion of your first semester. I’m glad to see that this will be a memorable time for you. Just because one moment passes does not mean that it is the end of all great moments. Life is not stagnant, it is constantly moving. Gout

2. Very good news. I greet

3. ayfiel says:

Let’s celebrate each step as a victory that we achieved to increase our energy to step forward. Thank you for your readable story.
    Herbs Live

4. cure-gout says:

Great informative site. I’m really impressed after reading this blog post.
    I really appreciate the time and effort you spend to share this with us!

check out this review.
    how to cure gout naturally

5. Terry says:

I’m impressed with how you were able to capture the sparkler picture with the “h” at the end. The O’s are easy to do and easy to capture on film. But the “h”, not so simple. Very cool effect overall, also, by the way.

6. goomtion says:

Fun is a good idea to save the image. I would take this approach to playing it.
    Thanks for sharing the fun.
    nursingsportsbra

7. Life is like river is constantly moving forward. We must cherish our past and look forward for greater achievements in the future. Research Papers

8. In order to realize that we are almost done with the first semester, we feel that the crisis.

9. kim61467 says:

First and foremost I would like to congratulate you on the completion of your first semester. I’m glad to see that this will be a memorable time for you. Just because one moment passes does not mean that it is the end of all great moments. Life is not stagnant, it is constantly moving. By focusing on what was, and what will be, creates a gap of what’s now. Without the what now there would be no moments pass or future. so enjoy each moment of now for it is the root of moments. As for getting older, a cake with your name on it is most precious especially when you get older. :)
    Self help