Oh, the weather outside is frightful…

I went to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra on Sunday afternoon. We had talked about going to see them for years (as I am a sucker for all things red, white and ho-ho-ho related), and this year my fiance surprised me with tickets as an early birthday gift.
The lights finally dimmed at the Garden, and the first reverberating notes of the electric guitar bounced from the ceiling as the stage lit up in an array of colors. The following hours were a blur of snow, melody, and pyrotechnics that left me ecstatic. It was a fantastic way to kick of the holiday season (that is AFTER Thanksgiving, mind you).

And today I found myself driving to work, window down, and attempting to recapture that holiday spirit despite the 60 degree weather.

It was difficult.

I know people all around the country- all around the globe- celebrate Christmas with palm trees rather than evergreens, and I’m sure Santa has a whole collection of flip flops and hawaiian shirts that he sports on some of his rides. But I am a hot cocoa loving, snowman building, scarf wearing Christmas junkie who has been deprived of these pleasures with no end in sight. Where have all the snowflakes gone?

And while the bell ringing Santa outside the grocery store still evokes the Good Will Towards (wo)Man in me, I miss the wonder of the swirling snow and the twinkling lights of the houses that accompany the carols on the radio.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

About sthurstonmspp

I am a 28-year-old-School-Psychology-CAGS/PsyD-student. Whew, what a mouthful. Journey and Styx rock my world, and some hardcore volleyball makes it go round n' round. I have spend the past six years working at a school/residential facility for children with emotional and behavioral disorders, and when I tried to quit in order to begin grad school, it just didn't take- I continue to pick up shifts every week so I can see my kids. I am a new homeowner about 40 minutes outside of Boston (another favorite band) with my husband and my 3 year old (rescued) mutt, Maisy. I am going to do my best to invite you inside my thoughts as I continue my grad school career as a simultaneously juggle my full time internship, CAGS classes and begin my journey into the PsyD- enter at your own risk!
This entry was posted in Around Boston. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Oh, the weather outside is frightful…

1. It’s amazing how many residential and commercial property which provides the jobs for most populations has been destroyed by severe storms over the past decade.

2. I think this is among the most vital information for
    me. And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on
    few general things, The site style is great, the articles is really great :
    D. Good job, cheers

3. Turjo Ahmed says:

you are right . weather is just awesome now in my country also . i am loving it
    Australian golfing holidays

4. TSO is really dynamic in concert! Being in the audience at one of their live shows is just amazing.

the level of expertise and performance ability is something to be marveled at. I swear they were playing a recording rather than doing it live. just amazing stuff

5. Flip Flop says:

We had a green Christmas too and it was weather warm. Kinda like walking around in the blanket of warmth provided this year.

6. We have had a lot of fun with your site, spying on each other. There were only a couple problems: You can’t adjust the video camera.

Webmaster of Spy Gear Video TRAKR.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, ends with a tear. When you were born, you were crying and everyone ound you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying.

7. Good post. I very liked this part: “and I’m sure Santa has a whole collection of flip flops and hawaiian shirts that he sports on some of his rides.” Greetings.

8. Okulary says:

Outstanding performance of Johann Pachelbel Canon i have goose-flesh after and while listening to this :D Great piec of music, and this pretty blond ladies ;) Yeap im a male :)

And weather ? Its that really mathers ? :> Imo not! Best in New Year for all.

9. Well…Last year was not fun, hopefully this year it will be better, so Christmas has always meant hot weather and barbecues for me.

10. I don’t know, we had a green Christmas and it was weather warm. Kinda like walking around in the blanket of warmth provided this year.

11. Well…

I have a different take.
    After having spent many years bathed in snow for Christmas, I believe I would rather have a luau shirt on and my chest hairs wafting in and 80 tropical breeze instead of stuck in a blizzard.

12. Mike says:

As much as i love the snow for my kids, last year was not fun, hopefully this year it will be better, especially as we are driving from the UK to Holland on the 23rd of Dec, really looking forward to xmas.

best wishes everyone

Mike

13. I’m a South African, so Christmas has always meant hot weather and barbecues for me….it all depends on what you;ve grown up with I guess.

14. johnston says:

trans siberian orchestra sounds fab – i will start searching for it asap

hey @ carla thanks so much for your tips on electronics sites, i need to do my online shopping today too. and im lost with where to start.

15. Carla says:

Hey, I just finished my shopping. I decided to buy almost everything online.I have 5 brothers..easy, just buy electronics,haha! If you are looking for a great website that is super cheap for gadgets go to greasy hooks gadgets. The shipping is slow but well worth it. I bought a netbooks,tablets all sorts of stuff for dirt cheap. Check it out…www.greasyhooks.com

Merry CHristmas

16. B chord says:

@tj I was thinking the same about snow before I learned to ski, I love snow now. So, go to mountains!

17. Dave Benson says:

I also love Christmas as much as you two do! I am also a “hot cocoa loving, snowman building, scarf wearing Christmas junkie” as you put it so eloquently! I saw the Trans Siberian Orchestra a few years back and it was absolutely amazing. As a guitar player and music teacher, I can’t get enough of them and teach some versions of their Christmas songs to some of my more advanced students. Merry Christmas!!

18. tj says:

Wow! Someone who loves Christmas as much as I do. Although, I wouldn’t mind the snow disappearing the day after Christmas LOL