Second Childhood

tallest lego tower

She sprinkled the blue play doh into the plastic cup. “Sugar!” she announced cheerfully, handing me the “tea”. The kindergartener had bopped between serving me tea and working hard at the plastic tool bench. The purple wrench was her favorite.

Primary Project began yesterday, and I conducted three sessions. Each of the three children were drastically different in their play, from this buzzing kindergartener to the two shyer 1st graders. My legs got cramped and cold from sitting on the floor, and the “child led play” philosophy was completely contrary to my behavioral training instincts.

I had so much fun!

I had forgotten what it was like to play with a child. Not lead, not limit, not be an adult. And while playing house was never my favorite game, building lego towers and mushing play doh was always exciting. Although the design does not permit me to build my own tower (sigh) it really was a fantastic way to play vicariously through the child. Interacting with specific scripts and engaging body movements enhanced my attunement with each child, and it did not matter that my hands were not the ones on the legos.

I sincerely hope these kids had as much fun as I did! By the way, where were these circus legos when I was a kid?

About sthurstonmspp

I am a 28-year-old-School-Psychology-CAGS/PsyD-student. Whew, what a mouthful. Journey and Styx rock my world, and some hardcore volleyball makes it go round n' round. I have spend the past six years working at a school/residential facility for children with emotional and behavioral disorders, and when I tried to quit in order to begin grad school, it just didn't take- I continue to pick up shifts every week so I can see my kids. I am a new homeowner about 40 minutes outside of Boston (another favorite band) with my husband and my 3 year old (rescued) mutt, Maisy. I am going to do my best to invite you inside my thoughts as I continue my grad school career as a simultaneously juggle my full time internship, CAGS classes and begin my journey into the PsyD- enter at your own risk!
This entry was posted in Personal Growth, School Psychology. Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Second Childhood

1. I always spent my half an hour to read this weblog’s posts everyday along with a cup of coffee.

2. People are creating apps for everything; companies are focusing on advertising and monetizing through mobile app advertising and app purchase.
    Advertising using mobile apps The use of internet from a mobile device is expected to rise above internet usage from a desktop.
    *Sharing platforms, social interaction, product and service standardization.

3. Great, this is awesome ! Very nice

4. Initially when i first observed this title Privately owned Surf Classes | HBbeachbum_lessons on the internet I whent and also bookmark that. Terrific perform! That is why form of information which can be can be distributed across the web. Shame on the internet for will no longer positioning that submit high! Seriously as well as go over with my very own internet site. Cheers =)

5. Initially when i first observed this title Privately owned Surf Classes | HBbeachbum_lessons on the internet I whent and also bookmark that. Terrific perform! That’s why hiring style of information that happen to be should be like that provided across the world wide web. Shame online for not positioning that submit high! Seriously as well as go over with my very own internet site. Cheers =)

6. Forex X Code says:

Amazing site. Do you bring it up to date frequently?
    We’ve book marked your web site.

7. 清潔公司 says:

I like to share understanding that will I’ve accumulated with the season to assist improve group
    efficiency.

8. What’s up, I want to subscribe for this webpage to obtain latest updates, therefore where can i do it
    please help.

9. Hello! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading this post
    reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept talking about this.
    I will forward this page to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.
    Thank you for sharing!

10. BF4 says:

My brother recommended I might like this website.
    He was totally right. This post truly made my day. You cann’t imagine simply how much time I had spent
    for this info! Thanks!

11. I’m amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I come across a blog that’s
    equally educative and entertaining, and without a doubt, you’ve hit the nail on the head.
    The problem is something not enough folks are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very happy that I found this during my hunt for something regarding this.

12. hack says:

Hi my family member! I wish to say that this post
    is amazing, nice written and come with approximately all important infos.
    I’d like to see more posts like this .

13. If Apple continues to improve their official OS, it becomes less necessary to jailbreak it.
    Really the only jailbreak intended for the actual units in the above list, is usually a tethered jailbreak which usually essentially means that,
    every time people computer your current unit or even in case you shed electric battery demand,
    you’ll have to connect your current unit for the pc and also manage the actual jailbreak application all over again, otherwise you will shed your current jailbreak, right at the end individuals course about how to jailbreak iOS 6. Have you ever wondered if it’s lawful to unlock
    your cellular device.

14. Then it is probably time to begin thinking about
    how to Jailbreak Your Life. ” Select the backup that you made in the previous steps and then let your device restore all of the data. It’s to be noted that Apple keeps a close eye on the jail-breaking group.

15. youtube.com says:

Abrams did the impossible with his first “Star Trek. NOTE: Anything can change with the upcoming movies. It was also one game that could creep me out of a good nights sleep.

16. They’ll want to be in constant communication with the new chick. The men and women you refer as well will ought to fill out this form. He has promised to me that he would love me forever and marry me.

17. web to print says:

Funny. Where is that tower?

18. Supers says:

out there about Lego parties (I was rlaely just looking for a Lego picture for my shout out to MoneyWiseMom’s Post) I found momadvice’s party post that she wrote. Who knew Logo Birthday Parties were such a

19. It can be amazing and educational to play with a child and let them lead. Thanks.

20. That is an awesome tower! Thanks

21. Good post, Like to read here.

Thanks!

22. lego says:

Ooh i loved lego when i was younger, its still so popular and some great choices now for new lego games etc

23. Playing with my daughter that way makes me feel so free! Thanks.

24. What a tall tower! Is it real?

25. Playing with kids always gives adults more fun than any other things.

26. Why I can’t see the picture?

27. How much do you think that Tower cost them?! Each lego typically, what 10 cents a piece?

28. That’s an awesome tower! I live 5 minutes from Legoland and my kids are always begging to buy more legos! They sure get expensive!

29. It’s kind of liberating to play with kids that way. Thanks.

30. ayfiel says:

Adults also have a childish side to side actualized for our happiness. Thanks for this good information. thank you
    Herbs Live

31. cure-gout says:

Great informative site. I’m really impressed after reading this blog post.
    I really appreciate the time and effort you spend to share this with us!

check out this review.
    how to cure gout naturally

32. charlie says:

It’s very satisfying to build something and see the result. It’s creative, intuitive and the characters are great…”
    webmaster of Millennium Falcon Lego

33. Lego is a great way of engaging kids. It really builds their logic and creative skills.

34. Lego 4148 says:

That looks like so much fun. I remember the days of playing with my brother with what I thought at the time was the biggest box of lego. I don’t think it would match up to yours.