Project INTERFACE

I was lucky enough to land a terrific work-study opportunity during my first few weeks at MSPP. I’ve been working at The Freedman Center ever since, doing a variety of things including leading a play group for toddlers and their parents. However, the main focus of my work involves Project INTERFACE, a mental health referral service for various towns around Massachusetts.

Project INTERFACE, under the leadership of Margaret Hannah and Nadja Reilly, contracts with different towns across the state to provide the referral service for children and adolescents. In some towns, adults and families are also able to use the service. In essence, a parent or school counselor calls Project INTERFACE and the staff, including MSPP students, completes an intake form. We then look through our extensive database of clinicians (psychologists, social workers, psychiatrists, etc.) to find someone who would be a good fit for the client, based on presenting issues, availability, and insurance. One of the ways that our service stands out is that we work with clinicians to set up a “professional profile” so that we know their areas of expertise, interests, and therapeutic approach.

Many of us understand the challenge faced by people who are looking for mental health care. It is difficult to access information about the clinicians listed on an insurance website and it can be very frustrating to make calls, only to hear that the person has no openings, is no longer on the insurance panel, or doesn’t return the call at all. Project INTERFACE is a wonderful service as it takes this burden out of the hands of the families. We work hard to provide the family with 2-3 names; at that point, they simply need to call and set up the appointment.

Project INTERFACE also maintains a website with listings of mental health resources around the state. If you would like to learn more, including the communities currently served, check out the website: http://www.projectinterface.org

~M

About mmosesmspp

I am a third year PsyD student interested in working with children, adolescents, and families, especially those affected by trauma. I'm originally from Colorado. Although I miss the mountains and the activities that go along with them, I fell in love with Boston upon moving here five years ago. I initially came east to study creative writing, completing a memoir about my experience volunteering in the Peace Corps in Lesotho. I am an avid runner, yoga practitioner, and lover of food. I love trying new things and used to be obsessed with finding and attending each and every cool thing that happened in Boston. Now my days and nights are filled with internship responsibilities and coursework - and I couldn't be happier.
This entry was posted in Clinical PsyD, Social Responsibility. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Project INTERFACE

1. Thank you much for the service that you’re providing. It seems that the project could potentially help communities & those with mental health needs greatly. Keep it up!

2. Congratulations! What you do can bring great convenience to people. Some people need more information.

3. cure-gout says:

You made some decent points there.I would like to thank you for the efforts
    you have put in writing this web site. I am hoping the same high-grade
    website post from you in the upcoming time.

check out this review.
    how to cure gout naturally