Pet Therapy

During Fundamentals Week at MSPP there was one thing that was emphasized more than anything else: Self-Care. Every professor present even let us newcomers in on their personal self-care secrets. Some are devoted to their television programs while others love to cook, sleep, exercise, or play Angry Birds for hours on end.

I will admit that self-care seemed like a foreign concept to me. I will also admit that it certainly wasn’t something I had prioritized -even after all of that urging during Fundamentals. However, while at my practicum site last week, I was pleasantly re-reminded of just how important it is to practice self-care.

After I met with my supervisor for our weekly meeting last Monday I went back to my office to delve into writing another psychosocial history for one of the residents. I had not been in my office long when I was startled by the obnoxious ring of the office telephone. “I have someone in my office who would like to meet you,” said my supervisor on the other end of the line. I assumed it was a new resident or possibly a new clinician.

I was wrong on both accounts.  As I walked through the door a Portuguese Water Dog came rushing over to me. She laid her head down on my knee and playfully nudged my hand with her nose. I took the cue to pet her. I was instantly overcome with positive emotions. It was as if all of my stresses were temporarily absent from my mind.

My supervisor informed me that the dog’s name was Aurora. She was a trained therapy dog and we would be using her to work with one of the residents. The idea of having Aurora on grounds was a bittersweet reality for me. I absolutely love animals but Aurora’s adorable face was a painful reminder of the little dogs I had left back in Arizona.

While I was leaving my practicum that night it finally occurred to me that I had exercised self-care before. My two little creatures (a Dachshund and a Shih Tzu/Poodle mix) were my self-care! I would walk them, play with them, cuddle them… They always knew how to make me feel better when I was feeling down or overwhelmed. They gave me such joy and comfort.

Even though my little creatures are in AZ for the time being it gives me peace to know that I now have a makeshift self-care option. I certainly plan on taking advantage of it whenever possible. Even just the thought of  Aurora becoming my new furry friend lifts my spirits. How many other people can say that they get self-care at work or their practicum/internship site? Most people have to get away from those places to get self-care. Not me! Now I have one more reason to love my practicum site!

And because I can’t help myself -call me a proud “mother”- I am adding a video for your viewing pleasure. My girls are the best self-care anyone could ever ask for.

For whatever reason they find it satisfying to play like little weasels. It never failed to make me laugh. (Please excuse the concrete flooring.)

-J

About jgarciamspp

Hello! My name is Jessica Garcia. I am an Arizona native and have moved to the greater Boston area to attend graduate school at MSPP. I graduated, summa cum laude, from Arizona State University (the Barrett Honors College). I received my Bachelor of Science in Psychology. I am currently a 1st year Clinical PsyD student, doing my practicum at FMC Devens. On a more personal note, I love music, theater, reading, learning new languages, and my little dog.
This entry was posted in Forensic Psychology and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Pet Therapy

1. Thanks for the ideas shared using your blog. Another thing I would like to convey is that weight loss is not information about going on a dietary fads and trying to reduce as much weight that you can in a few days. The most effective way to shed pounds is by using it bit by bit and right after some basic ideas which can allow you to make the most from a attempt to drop some weight. You may recognize and be following some of these tips, however reinforcing expertise never hurts.– italian greyhound puppies

2. Dog Training says:

Keep the good work

3. Everything is very open with a really clear clarification of the challenges.

It was definitely informative. Your website is very helpful.
    Many thanks for sharing!

4. reviews says:

Hi there very cool web site!!

5. Your post is very very true inspiration to everyone who reads it. Good Job..

6. Law Crossing says:

LawCrossing has served consumer job seekers, recruiting firms, university career service offices, unemployment offices and outplacement firms, bringing job opening research, employer information, and more to EmploymentCrossing’s clients.

7. I am very thankful too you for this sharing..It is very useful for my writing project I get enough information for my writing..!!!

8. Off ice says:

Great explanation here, was looking for a similar information.

9. I love my pets and they clearly love me back. It’s amazing the effect we have on each other.

10. Great Content. So I Like this site.

11. Hello there, I discovered your web site via Google while looking for a related matter, your site got here up, it looks good. I have bookmarked to my favourites|added to bookmarks.

12. DaMaus Marketing and Advertising says:

I really enjoyed this article,It was very informative, I really needed this information to make a good consumer decision. I read some relative information where you can get the best pet life insurance. I think your readers would enjoy this information also.

Again thank you for sharing.

13. Ian says:

Love the dogs in the video, so cute :)

14. Exceptional website, congratulations.

15. Thank you, that’s very interesting information. I need to share with my friends.

16. dompetpria says:

So true! I love puppies and always wish to have one on my own.
    The video is adorable. Thanks for the sharing anyway :)

17. Pets can provide emotion help and consolation that human beings can’t give.

18. I think the best pet therapy is petting your own pets well. Welcome to my blog dog playpen

19. Ty Brown says:

As a Salt Lake City dog trainer I feel that pet therapy is very important. I have seen how it has helped people to be able to continue with their daily lives out in the public.

20. Ty Brown says:

I think pet therapy is an important tool for a lot of people with disabilities or who are sick.

21. Thanks indeed for the amazing post. pets are great they seems to know how we are feeling…
    Webmaster of logitechrevuecompanionboxwithgoogletv

22. cure-gout says:

This could be one particular of the most beneficial blogs I have
    ever come across on this subject. Basically Magnificent.
    Thanks for your hard work.

check out this review.
    how to cure gout naturally

23. Very nice and inspiring article. Thanks.

24. Spy EyeClops Night Vision Infrared Stealth Goggles Review says:

These goggles are awesome! I am an adult and I have never had so much fun. I ordered some for a camping trip and we had such a blast.

Webmaster of Spy EyeClops Night Vision Infrared Stealth Goggles Review.

It is a wise father that knows his own child.– William Shakespeare

25. arijack says:

For aour lovely pet, we must do the best care..its about humanity n care…dont make mistake..

26. This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. Youve got a design here that not too flashy, but makes a statement as big as what youre saying. Great job, indeed.

27. Hal Williams says:

Dogs are man’s best friend…. the saying has much meaning. I can not imagine not having my dogs, or other pets (Cats are great pets too)… to come home to at the end of the day. The unconditional love the comes from them is so wonderful. Thanks for the effort of producing this information.

Dog-E-Glow Collars and Leashes

28. Thanks a lot for such nice and useful tips to return the favors of your parents which will cost you nothing but give a great joy to them.Parents are the most deserving persons of our care.

29. I agree with you to some extent. Good and fantastic blog. I am interested very much in such publications and sure will keep visiting your blog to check your messages and news as well.

Webmaster of HP Colour LaserJet CP2025DN Printer.

The road to success is always under construction. — Lily Tomlin

30. This is useful and important information for all pet owners

31. Great post Jessica.
    A lot of people underestimate the value of pets with self-care but I really don’t think it can be stressed enough, especially with dogs like Aurora around!

32. Lindy B says:

Hi jgarciamspp
    Nice Blog I enjoy reading this as you cover interesting facts. Thank you!
    Cheers
    Lindy

33. Greatest ever article to read.I really appreciated it.Love this post alot!Million thanks for sharing great and awesome data and article for all.Will visit back again this great website again.May god bless you.

34. simto wonda says:

It is well documented that touch is very important for the nourishment of the mind and body. For some people, touch from another person is not always a viable option especially for older adults who may have lost a life partner, but the warm, furry touch of a dog or cat is. A house pet will always be there for you eager and ready to please his or her master.