Moving from Idaho to Boston

Moving is never easy. Even for someone like me who has moved around quite a bit growing up; moving is always just a mess of emotions. While I was excited about the prospect of moving to somewhere new, getting out of my small town of Nampa, Idaho, and starting a new chapter in the journey of my husband and mine’s marriage, I was heartbroken to leave behind my family, friends, and all things familiar or convenient. There was so much transition going on that for a while, I wondered if I was going to make it. I love school, so the thought of going back to school and “nerding” out over psychology and other aspects of academia was very enticing. However, the last two weeks before this move were a crazy, high intensity time in my life.

When my husband and I had talked about how in the world we were going to get out to Boston, we were pretty discouraged. We had built up quite the collection of junk over the past year. We decided it would be best for us to sell everything except clothing, textbooks, art supplies (for my husband), and a few other memory things we had from the past year. We got boxes and started shipping everything out to my mother-in-law, who had told us that we would be welcome to live with her until we found a place. My father-in-law was also very generous to buy us plane tickets to get out to Boston a week and a half before school would start. However, while these different gifts were very much appreciated, I still had so much emotional turmoil going on inside. I was beyond anxious.

I had given my work notice as soon as I found out about school and they were very supportive. Since working as a psychosocial rehabilitationist for the past 5 months, I had built strong connections with my clients and was not looking forward to our final termination sessions. When I had first talked to a lot of my “kiddos,” they were pretty upset. A lot of them cried but thought that I would be coming back after a little while to continue PSR with them. It was hard to explain to them that I might never come back to Idaho and that they would have to continue their progress with a new PSR worker. A lot of them tried to resist this change by acting out or behaving how they would when we first started. It was so frustrating to try and continue to work on their goals while discussing the reality of me not being there in a week. I got through a lot of it okay and only cried after two clients had been dropped off for the day.

If leaving work wasn’t enough, I had to hold a two day yard sale to sell my husband and my things. It was so hard to sell a lot of the things at the yard sale. Some of the things sold were memories from my childhood, wedding presents, gifts from loved ones, and other things that had a strong emotional tie to the past year. My husband and I had done a lot of moving since we got married. We were a fast paced kind of couple, getting married one day and then moving to Northern California the next. After 6 months there, we ran out of money and support of friends out there and decided to move back to Idaho. Idaho is a beautiful place to live. It has beautiful rivers, waterfalls, places to hike and enjoy nature, and a recently growing metropolis in Boise, 30 minutes away from where we lived. However, my husband and I felt suffocated and needed to get out. I wanted to go back to grad school and decided that MSPP would be a great choice since I had applied and was accepted when I graduated NNU back in May of 2010. So, I applied and was accepted again, which seemed to be a good move for my husband and me since we had family in Boston.

On top of that, I was trying to fit in time to hang out with my close friends as well as my family. My sister was leaving a week before me to go to Peru and doing nursing work for a while with an outreach program. My sister is my best friend. Yes, we fight like normal siblings, but I know that she always has my best interests in mind. So leaving her behind in Idaho was heartbreaking; even more so than the time we left for California. The last two weeks in Idaho were some of my funnest memories of my time being back there. While it was hard to say goodbye, I knew that all of my friends were only a phone call, a text, or a Facebook message away. The day my husband and I were to fly out of Idaho, my mom and I could barely hold it together. I’m such a “mama’s-girl.” I love my family so, so much that the thought of being so far away was almost physically painful. My mom reassured me and hugged me through every step of the way. When I started going through airport security, I was anxious, nervous, scared, and sad; but, even through all that pain and depressing emotions, I knew that everyone was proud of me for taking this next step in my journey and loved me no matter where I was.

So, yes, moving is hard. However, you’ll never know how much the next step will edify your life if you don’t take the chance. A life without risk is hardly a life at all. So, I’ve taken the leap across the country and have arrived in Boston, ready and willing to take the next step in this wild journey of mine, whether it comes easily or not.

About spitchermspp

I'm living in the Boston area and going to Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology to get my Masters in Counseling Psychology. I moved to Boston from Nampa, ID where I've spent most of my life. I'm married to the love of my life and best friend, Keith. I've spent time working in the mental health care field and am ready to get my Masters so that I can work hopefully somewhere in Community Mental Health. I'm so excited to start this journey and am very optimistic about where it will take me! I love going for walks with friends, drinking mass amounts of coffee, baking and cooking, spending time with family, watching movies, and dying/cutting/doing crazy things with my hair (I think I'm a hair-o-holic! haha). This blog is basically an account of my journey and I hope that you enjoy the tales from this journey!
This entry was posted in Counseling Psychology, Personal Growth and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Moving from Idaho to Boston

1. I agree, moving is never easy, especially when the majority of your life is based on that place. Well, at least with the internet, you can still keep in touch with your family and friends…

2. moving is not easy…my friend got same situation, he is now in canada and his family is in the philippines, working faraway from family and friends is really painful sometimes,

3. Katherine says:

Change is sometimes good for us.

4. cure-gout says:

This blog is nice and amazing. I love your post! It’s also nice to see
    someone who does a lot of research, which is pretty rare from bloggers these days.
    Thanks!

check out this review.
    how to cure gout naturally

5. Spy EyeClops Night Vision Infrared Stealth Goggles Review says:

These goggles are awesome! I am an adult and I have never had so much fun. I ordered some for a camping trip and we had such a blast.

Webmaster of Spy EyeClops Night Vision Infrared Stealth Goggles Review.

It is a wise father that knows his own child.– William Shakespeare

6. I agree with you to some extent. Good and fantastic blog. I am interested very much in such publications and sure will keep visiting your blog to check your messages and news as well.

Webmaster of HP Colour LaserJet CP2025DN Printer.

The road to success is always under construction. — Lily Tomlin

7. Joy says:

My eldest son recently left home and decided to live with friends. As a mother it is not easy to let go even if the moving is for my son’s good. I still get emotional sometimes but children leaving is part of life and something I have to accept.

8. Actually i am from bangladesh. I actually moved several place. Every time i got emotional when i left the old place. Some memory always grabed me. But, i was also very much excited thinking about the new place.

9. Hi Spitchermspp, Really you had said a wonderful line at the end of your blog that a life would not be a life in real if we will not take chances that it gives and life without risks will be somewhere a boring type of daily soap.So it’s good to see for us that you have moved forward in your life and have taken a step ahead.

10. Jasmine says:

Nice blog! thanks for posting this

11. Moving is the only one situation that makes me feel sad and happy at the same time. Is impossible not to remember the good moments we lived in the place we are lefting behind, and at the same time to think about the joy of going to another new place is an ovewhelming mixture. Is an experience worth living through.

12. Shine says:

I totally agree. Moving is really hard…not just physically but mostly emotionally. It takes me awhile to get over the sadness of either me moving or a loved one moves. Either way, it takes some time for me to “recover”. But the good news is, I always recover. Acceptance of change and looking at the bright side help me get over my sadness.

13. Leaving our place is always painful. I experienced this when I had to move for studies leaving my family and friends behind. It was really very painful. But where at one side you have to leave your beloved on the other side a new life is waiting for you which, you may enjoy more…

14. Zeke Higham says:

Moving is always hard. The hardest thing is getting comfortable in your new surroundings. I hope you kept enough of your old stuff to feel at home. When you are young is the best time to do this. Once you reach a certain age it becomes much more difficult.
    Just remember you can always relocate again if you really don’t find what your looking for where ever you move to.
    Hope you find what you are looking for..
    Zeke

15. jgarciamspp says:

I feel your pain. I moved from AZ. My whole life is there. But I’m glad that I made the move. So far it has been extremely rewarding.