Brownies and the Brain

Last Wednesday, we studied the brain in our Lifespan Development course. This meant squinting at pictures of neurons to locate the axons and dendrites, and coming to understand that we should conceive of the brain as a series of pathways rather than specific sections. Mmmh…. All this brain talk made me hungry. Luckily our esteemed program director stopped in during the break to encourage us to attend the prospective students open house that evening. The promise of food at the event was enough for me. As far I can tell, MSPP excels at two principal activities: preparing excellent practitioners in the field of psychology and offering delicious and plentiful food at campus events.

After class, two of my fellow first-years and I made our way to the main MSPP campus building at 221 Rivermoor.  We convened in a conference room with four prospective students, the program director, and several faculty members. Suddenly, the tables had turned. We as the first year class have spent the past several weeks learning our way around MSPP, meeting the faculty and staff, getting lost in the hallways, trying to figure out how to have a social life in between homework, classes, and practicum, and asking lots of questions. Now we were in the position to be sharing our knowledge and answering questions, if only for a night. I found myself talking animatedly about the school where I’m working and people I’ve met at MSPP. It was astounding and gratifying to discover how much I have learned in the past month since orientation began– and to be able to share that with potential future MSPPer’s.  This was a wonderful realization after spending three intense hours analyzing the brain. The brownies were darn good, too.

About shansenmspp

I am a second-year school psychology student. I completed my undergraduate degree at Macalester College, with majors in Sociology and Spanish. In addition, I have a master's degree in Public Affairs. I have worked as a language teacher in the U.S. and Latin America, and I speak Spanish and some Portuguese. I love reading, yoga, cooking, traveling, and hanging out with good friends. Oh, and playing with my impish rescue pup, Atlas.

12 Responses to Brownies and the Brain

1. Thanks for the Great Post. Knowledge Plus is a Registered Training Organisation meeting strict nationally recognised quality control for Training and Assessment. Knowledge Plus has won numerous awards in recognition of their outstanding Customer Service. We specialise in Workplace-Based Training, Management Development, Change Management, Project Management, OHS and IT Training and have provided superior training to over 1600 professionals.

2. I simply happened upon your site and desired to state that I’ve truly loved browsing your site posts.

3. Mike says:

The brain is so amazing and we know so little about it.

4. Ed says:

You say: “We as the first year class have spent the past several weeks learning our way around MSPP, meeting the faculty and staff, getting lost in the hallways, trying to figure out how to have a social life in between homework, classes, and practicum, and asking lots of questions.”

Yes, one of the toughest things in a student’s first year of university studies is trying to find the right balance between having fun and studying.

Having a social life is an important part of student life – helps to keep one sane (especially when studying psychology)! As long as one doesn’t overdo it.

5. good article . I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!
    Regards
    cheap flowers usa

6. cure-gout says:

I appreciate you taking the time to write about this topic.
    A nice post of worldly thoughts.
    check out this how to cure gout naturally review.
    how to cure gout naturally

7. Student Voices is really a great article for the students I think. So, we must follow the site regularly.
    las vegas dental implants

8. song lyrics says:

Great post i ever seen,it really good step for students. song lyrics

9. nice article . you can also take a look at my website karmaloop rep code

10. Jake says:

I <3 Susannah

11. jgarciamspp says:

“As far I can tell, MSPP excels at two principal activities: preparing excellent practitioners in the field of psychology and offering delicious and plentiful food at campus events.”

You are so right! Your post made me smile. Thanks for sharing.
    -J

12. Pingback: Brownies and the Brain | MSPP Student Voices | Psychology